Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Rifle Discussion > AK-47 (Avtomat Kalashnikova 47), AKM and all variants.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Trusted Comrade

Default cheapest price for 7.62x39 ammo

so far the cheapest price i have found was 1,120 rounds for $179.20 USD thats like 16 cents a round. but its yugoslavian surplus from like the 70's or 80's. they also have 40 round boxes for $6.75 USD. this is probably as cheap as it gets. but im just not sure about 40 year old surplus ammo. what are your thoughts on old dusty ammo?
Old 08-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Founding Member

Pull trigger. If it fires, Pull trigger again.
If it doesn't, cycle action, then pull trigger again.
Repeat as needed.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Trusted Comrade

yes but i would be very unhappy to have a 1,120 rounds and half of them not fire. im a firm beleiver that here very soon there will either be a civil war or an invation on american soil. I hope im wrong but im going to be ready just in case. 10,000 rounds should hold me out for awile. i would be so mad if i got a box of bad ammo.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Trusted Comrade

That Yugo stuff ignites everytime. I've yet to come across a single round that was properly stored that didn't go bang like it should. Mildly corrosive so clean accordingly. If you can afford to stock it deep, buy a few crates. I'm really debating if I want to add a couple more to my small stash already.

The crates if you choose to use up the ammo make great toolboxes afterwards too.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:34 AM
Founding Member

Ive shot all kinds of milsurp ammo, from a wide variety of sources and the WORST ammo I ever had was some chinese steel core 7.62 ammo many years ago. I would get maybe 2 or 3 misfires out of 100 rounds. IMHO, unless the ammo has been sitting under water for several years, it will be fine. A gunwriter named Duke Venturino has some WW1 vintage .45 ACP ball ammo that he shoots a few rounds of occasionally, It always goes BANG. Not bad for 95 year old ammo.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Soviet Steel Moderator

the yugo surplus is great....it's a hotter round then current production wolf...I've shot close to 1K of the stuff and don't recall a single dud. As mentioned, it's corrosive so clean accordingly.

"There are no restrictions on the First Amendment when trying to restrict the Second Amendment" Tim Inwood, Buckeye Firearms Association.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Founding Member

Keep in mind AIM also has Golden Tiger for 1000 per $179.50. That is a pretty good price.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...FMJ&groupid=39

Quote:
im a firm beleiver that here very soon there will either be a civil war or an invation on american soil. I hope im wrong but im going to be ready just in case.
Stocking up on ammo is always win-win. If everything falls apart and its Bosnia 1993 tomorrow- you have plenty of rounds for home defense, suppressive fire, grazing fire, etc. But if it doesn't happen, you still have a nice supply for range trips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg agt76239fmj.jpg (51.9 KB, 80 views)
Old 08-19-2010, 10:02 AM

id go with the 1k golden tiger over the 1,120 corrosive yugo for the same price all day.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Trusted Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
id go with the 1k golden tiger over the 1,120 corrosive yugo for the same price all day.
I treat all Russian or former East Bloc modern day production as mildy corrosive

I've shot recent production Wolf and assuming it was non corrosive, didn't follow through with my usual corrosive cleaning regiement. A few days later noticed some rust

Don't assume the Golden Tiger isn't just as mildy corrosive. At that pricing you can't go wrong with either. It all should work as intended. I personally think the Yugo stuff is a tad more accurate myself. As with everything though, YMMV. Bottom line, buy whichever you want to be prepared. I think alot of us are in that SHTF being unavoidable, just a matter of time boat. Having access to a firearm and ammo to utilize it is the important thing in that scenario.

Good luck.

Last edited by jeremywills; 08-19-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:11 AM
Trusted Comrade

thanks everyone for the great reply's. I think i will go with the yugo ammo. extra 120 rounds for the same price as the golden tiger. also its in a tin can inside a wood crate. any ideas on how to get through the metal??? i tried awile back on a spam can of 8mm and that was ugly. i used a bowie knife to kut through it. took forever. i would like to keep the wooden crate intact also would be great for storeing all my ammo in. plus all the russian markings make it look bad@$$. please let me know if u know any tricks to getting through that thick metal.

Last edited by kroenen85; 08-20-2010 at 02:14 AM.