Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > The Exclusion Zone > Steel Lounge

Old 10-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Founding Member

Default ROSarms maker of Russian knives...

... a few years back I was in touch with a dealer for ROSarms, a russian knife maker. I happened to see one of their specialty knives the "Rescuer" one of their first lines of special use knives.
I fell in love with the design, it is basically same as the current Rescuer series but without the saw back. I was able to get a good discount at the time as the dealer was just emerging in the market.

I used it for a summer of camping and hiking and it is one of my favorite blades to carry when I am outback. They work very well.

ROSarms ( http://rosarmsusa.com/index.htm ) makes many diffferent styles of knives including fine art knives for the collectors.

If you enjoy a good blade, check them out.

Ivan

Party Like It's 1773!

"Do not draw me without Reason,
Do not sheath me without Honor".
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:11 AM
Soviet Steel Administrator

You know, I don't know anything about Russian knives, but a knife forum might be a good addition? You think?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:52 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonov View Post
You know, I don't know anything about Russian knives, but a knife forum might be a good addition? You think?
DA!
Has my vote, I love a good blade.
I would start posting pics and reviews of some edged steel I have and used.

Ivan

Party Like It's 1773!

Old 11-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Founding Member

Default Pics of Russian Blade....

... as promised the ROS Arms rescuer 2 model in my collection.
I often carry it in my pack when hiking and camping. It has been used for skinning deer, making meals in the camp kitchen and carving improptu kitchen utensils at camp (yeah I forgot the spatula one trip, DOH!)

Here is a description of the steel from their website...

"Knives' blades are made of the famous Zlatoust forged and hardened stainless steel 110x18M and 40x10C-2M (relatives to steel BG-42) and damascus(click here for more information). Handles of knives are applicable only in "warm" material of valuable species of wood: walnut, box-tree, beech, birch nodule, birch bark and leather."

The leather sheath is of thin lower quality sheath leather, with a "boot clip" and standard belt loop on back. Not the best, but certainly adequate.

This is one of my favorite knives, keeps a good edge and just a good rugged knife that has put up with my needs for a blade.

Thanks for looking,

Ivan

Party Like It's 1773!

Old 11-02-2009, 06:23 AM

That's a nice looking knife.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:23 AM
Soviet Steel Administrator

Nice blade. I have never owned a Russkie blade. You've got my attention.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Founding Member

I have never been a big fan of stainless steel blades, prefer something along the lines of 1095, good edge quality and easy to sharpen in the field.

I like this blade quality, holds good edge and sharpens well.

Feels well balanced in my hand and the spearpoint is a favorite blade design for my uses.

The picture doesn't show it well, but the hilt and butt (with skull crusher point) are polished aluminum, and obviously the handle is stacked leather.

This knife is based on the traditional knives carried by EMERCOM, the Russian emergency response groups for natural disasters. Note in the last paragraph from WIKI the mention of The "Committee for Extraordinary Situations", only in Russia would you prepare for that!

Edit: EMERCOM[1] (Emergency Control Ministry) or The Ministry of the Emergency Situations (Russian: Министерство по чрезвычайным ситуациям - МЧС России) was established on January 10, 1994 by President Boris Yeltsin. The complete official designation is Ministry of the Russian Federation for Affairs of Civil Defence, Emergencies and Disaster Relief (Russian: Министерство России по делам гражданской обороны, чрезвычайным ситуациям и ликвидации последствий стихийных бедствий). Some consider the real date of birth of the agency as December 27, 1990, when the Russian Rescue Corps was established and assigned the mission of rapid response in the case of emergencies.

According to an EMERCOM publication, the Ministry is an agency of Federal Executive Power with the following tasks:

developing proposals and initiatives in the sphere of State policy on issues within the Ministry's competence;
managing the Civil Defence and Search and Rescue Service in the Russian Federation;
providing for the functioning and further development of the Russian System of Disaster Management (RSDM);
directing activities aimed at eliminating the consequences of large-scale disasters, catastrophes and other emergencies;
conducting special submarine activities;
supervising the use of finance resources allocated to the Government for disaster management and response;
organizing the training of the population, and governing agencies and the RSDM forces for disaster management and response;
and organizing international cooperation in the fields of the Ministry's competency.

[edit] Minister

Sergei ShoiguThe Minister in charge of EMERCOM is Sergei Shoigu. He was appointed by President Yeltsin in November 1991 as Chairman of the State Committee of the Russian Federation for Civil Defence Matters, Extraordinary Situations and the Liquidation of Natural Disasters. Shoigu was given the rank of Major General in October 1994, and his committee became a ministry in January 1994. President Yeltsin showed his faith in the importance of EMERCOM by designating Minister Shoigu a member of the Russian Security Council by Presidential Decree on February 1, 1994.

[edit] Departments

Ivan

Party Like It's 1773!

Last edited by Iron Ivan; 11-02-2009 at 10:37 PM.