Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Rifle Discussion > Mosin-Nagant

Old 04-13-2011, 04:02 PM

Default Silver Barrel Mosin Nagant

I decided to have the bolt polished on my old 1927 Mosin Nagant. It returned looking much better, but the rest of the (sporterized) rifle needs equal attention. In an effort to make the best of a bad situation, that situation being an old rifle with plenty of finish flaws, I've decided to remove the gun blue from the barrel and parts. If this goes well, it will leave me with a shiny silver barrel. Here's where it gets tricky: I like the stainless steel look.

I've always prefered stainless steel barrels over blued versions, and I think they generally look much nicer. I'd like to do this with my Mosin Nagant, since, after all, it's already been bastardized by its previous owner. So does anyone here have some helpful suggestions?
Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Gun Kote, VHT flat aluminum high heat paint, Hammered look paint...just bake it on......
Old 04-13-2011, 07:46 PM

I'm going to start with removing the gun blue from the barrel, and see how it looks 'naked'. I keep my guns oiled and clean, so I'm not worried about surface rust. If it looks nice enough, I'll wet sand and then polish to a shine.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:41 AM

I've removed the finish from the barrel and other metal parts, and they're about as pretty as bare sheet metal. I'll try some 2400-grit wet sanding and then polish to a hard shine. If it doesn't look good at that point, it's going back to black.