Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Rifle Discussion > AK-74

Old 04-06-2011, 09:02 AM

Default Does anyone make an AK74 underfolder.

Does anyone make an AK74 underfolder similar to the Yugo M70 AK-47 variant? I like the Yugo but I want to stick with the 5.45x39 ammo. The Polish Tantal from CAI is the closest I can find.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Does anyone make an AK74 underfolder similar to the Yugo M70 AK-47 variant? I like the Yugo but I want to stick with the 5.45x39 ammo. The Polish Tantal from CAI is the closest I can find.
Quim what you are describing is non-historical. The Soviets (and vassal states) did side folders for 5.45 in some form but not underfolders. On a side note, the issue you may have with a Polish tantal's wire folder is you don't get much cheek weld. I have a Polish AKMS (7.62 x 39) and get a surprising level of comfort shooting it (with my cheek)- so there is a big difference between the Tantal and AKMS.

You could have one custom built (several places come to mind) but you'll pay a premium for your frankenstein.

Lancaster did make such a rifle but I cannot recommend them.

* I should add this- the Serbs did make a 5.56 underfolder, probably closest you could get to 5.45 (but not sure you want to switch to .223):

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=222937327

Last edited by warsaw pact; 04-06-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: added Yugo
Old 04-06-2011, 11:10 PM

yea I know one was never made. My friend let me shoot his Yugo and after about 2 clips I was hooked on the underfolding stock. I was hoping to avoid having to stock both 5.45 and 7.62 ammo by sticking to 74's. Really though for the same price as a custom 74 with underfolding stock I can buy a 47 underfolder and about $400 worth of ammo!

I wonder what it would take to make one myself. It can't be too much harder than cutting two holes in the receiver for a yugo or polish akms stock. I just have no idea where to get the parts from.

I know what you mean about Lancaster. I tried to buy one of their 74 underfolders last year. I'm still trying to get my money back from those thieves.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warsaw pact View Post
I have a Polish AKMS (7.62 x 39) and get a surprising level of comfort shooting it (with my cheek)- so there is a big difference between the Tantal and AKMS.

You could have one custom built (several places come to mind) but you'll pay a premium for your frankenstein.
who made your AKMS? Does it have a chrome lined barrel?
Please point me in the custom build direction. Worth checking out even though I'll prolly choke on the price.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
who made your AKMS? Does it have a chrome lined barrel?
Please point me in the custom build direction. Worth checking out even though I'll prolly choke on the price
Quim. Sorry to hear about Lancaster. It is crazy with them, reminds me of dealing with a few of my teenage students (who are beyond irresponsible). I would email- no response. I would call and call, (no responses to voice mail) sometimes no answer, sometimes a guy would pick up and be like "hello?" (real aloof too). Everytime you call those jokers it was a different story or excuse. I wrote a whole thread about it on here. It was like a three month process- plenty of lies and BS. The final AK I got from them looks good and shoots ok but turns out has a canted sight! Did they just never deliver to you or what?

I got my Polish AKMS from Koraynovich. A builder who makes rifles for Atlantic (the retailer). It is actually my favorite AK now- never thought I'd say that because I like wooden stocks.

Yes, it has a chrome lined barrel.

http://koraynovicharms.com/Home_Page.html

They still have it on Atlantic's page but says they don't sell it anymore:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct656.aspx

(I got it at a lower price than this)

If you want a "beater"- Century is making Polish AKMS kits too, but you aren't getting the nice gunkoat finish among other things.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct933.aspx

Last edited by warsaw pact; 04-07-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: .
Old 04-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Arsenal used to....
Old 06-09-2011, 10:25 AM

looks like the coppers are going to finally come down on Chet Durda and Lancaster. http://lancasterarmssucks.blogspot.c...-business.html Scroll down to the comments at the bottom. I'll probably not get my money back, but at least they'll have to answer to the law!
Old 06-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Trusted Comrade

Good. I bought a good rifle from them which apparently was on a recall list so I sent it back. Before I sent it, it had not given me one problem. I got it back about 6 months later, it had a monkeyed up front sight that was warped when they put it on for some reason. Lancaster needs to be driven into the mud. I use to think they were a good company but after them holding my gun so long then sending me back one that was so messed up then saying," Well it was inspected before it left here so I dont know what to say, send it back to us and we will look at it." yea let me ship it to you for even more months. They are a terrible company that cant seem to learn anything about customer support.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
Old 06-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

I told you guys for years about Chet and Lancaster Arms on the other forum....as always, no one listens to me. Same for the kid from W Va that was in gunsmithing school about MGS and that PPsh pistol....when will ya'll figure out that you can trust what uncle einie says??
Old 06-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
looks like the coppers are going to finally come down on Chet Durda and Lancaster.
I remember I originally had reservations about writing my review of the experience I had with Lancaster. I felt I was being too hard and maybe my situation was a fluke. Turns out it wasn't.

http://www.soviet-steel.com/showthread.php?t=836