Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Rifle Discussion > AK-74

Old 09-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Trusted Comrade

Default Intrac Arms MkII?

Hello I am new to the form here but I am hoping some of the other members here might be able to help me out.
I have a Intrac Arms MKII AK-74 Type clone I want to do some modifications to it but not sure if what I want is possible.
There is two ways I am thinking of modifying it option one is to make a Pre Production AK-74 with the original Russian wood furniture i can find the grips and hand guards and original brake the but stock however is a little harder to find so if any one knows some sources let me know. Option 2 is to make a more modern and functional Ak-74 with poly Furniture. In any case both will need a new front sight. so here are the questions.
1:I want to add a Bulgarian front sight and muzzle brake not sure if it will fit on it tho?
2:I would like to ad on a arsenal solid folding stock, the gun already has the Romanian wire type folding stock on it question is what modifications would I need to make to the receiver if any to put that that type of stock on it?
3:i would also like to put a 90 Degree gas block on it to is this possible to do?
Old 09-14-2010, 01:41 AM

Bulgarian FSB's wont fit Romanian barrels, the barrel diameter of the Romanian is smaller than the Bulgarian...Why not just make a ultra cool Romanian AIMS-74 clone instead, especially if its got the unique up-turned bolt carrier handle.

Better yet, sell it to me and I'll make a AIMS-74 copy out of it!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Trusted Comrade

I see I heard the opposite was true that the Bulgarian barrels were smaller than the Romanian AK-74.
I thought about that it because it would be a good rifle to make a AIMS-74 clone because the MKIIs were the only AK-74s that were imported into the US made at the Ratmill factory same place the AIMS-74s are made.
But I cant find most of the parts to build that like the correct upper hand guard, the 22mm front sight I did find the brake but it was around $100...Thatís K var for you 100% increase in price for a $5 part
so I decided not to because I can get the original Russian parts for around less than half that price both front sight and brake.
I think the AIMS 74s looks better than they feel to shoot in any case because I always use optics on my AK so that wire type folder is very uncomfortable to shoot IMHO. I also donít like vertical foregrips I tried them on other rifles and just hated them. I like my supporting hand far forward of the gun almost off the grips so the Romanian lowers are out for me.
Any ways the gun groups well I really like the 5.45x39 round and id like to do something with it.
but if you can find the AIMS parts ill buy em build it up and sell to you for a Good price.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Bulgy barrels have a heavier profile. Bulgy 5.56 barrels are the skinny ones and come on WaSR rifles. AA-OK has the parts and if you talk really nice to Bob at K-var, you can get the correct bakelite upper in good shape for $25 shipped. The front sight can be had, but it is a little pricey. $85 is the cheapest I've found, but you can take a 22mm bolt, drill it out and make a threaded block. The brakes are roughly the same price. You can install a Bulgy FSB with some silver solder to make it tight. Other than that, threading the barrel is the easiest and cheapest solution.

Tantal is your best bet for parts. As far as the gas block, there are 45* blocks that look like 90* blocks. If you decide to change it, you could 'slug the port and have it redrilled at 90*, but its expensive. Early Russian AK74s used the 45* block.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Trusted Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by einheit 13 View Post
Bulgy barrels have a heavier profile. Bulgy 5.56 barrels are the skinny ones and come on WaSR rifles. AA-OK has the parts and if you talk really nice to Bob at K-var, you can get the correct bakelite upper in good shape for $25 shipped. The front sight can be had, but it is a little pricey. $85 is the cheapest I've found, but you can take a 22mm bolt, drill it out and make a threaded block. The brakes are roughly the same price. You can install a Bulgy FSB with some silver solder to make it tight. Other than that, threading the barrel is the easiest and cheapest solution.

Tantal is your best bet for parts. As far as the gas block, there are 45* blocks that look like 90* blocks. If you decide to change it, you could 'slug the port and have it redrilled at 90*, but its expensive. Early Russian AK74s used the 45* block.

It would appear to be that way I thought the Romanian barrel would be heavier because it has a AKM rear trunnion.
I heard bobs are not Romanian uppers tho their Bulgarian not that it matters to me or most anyone else bakelite all looks the same I need to email him.
I found the Romanian FSB and 22mm brake at DSA arms and CNC warrior not cheap but less expensive for me to do than fit all the Bulgarian and Russian parts.
Before I knew the gun was worth anything I thought about threading the barrel and putting A spare Krebs custom tantal brake I had laying around but its about a 1/2" to short and 1/8 to big on the ID for some reason the Romanians made their brakes longer. it would be a real pain to fix that.
In any case I think I am just going to make the AIMS 74 clone and sell it for a Bulgarian AK-74.

Homo homini lupus.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Founding Member

What are you shopping around for the best answer?

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...730#post627730

I'd dump it and get something else, but thats me.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Trusted Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by warsaw pact View Post
What are you shopping around for the best answer?

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...730#post627730

I'd dump it and get something else, but thats me.

Are you spying on me sir? haha no...
I am not really shopping around for answers as so much as I am just trying to get a answer. This thread was the reason I joined this form it was posted on here a few weeks before I posted on akfiles and no one replied on here till 2 days after the one akfiles was posted.

Homo homini lupus.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Are you spying on me sir?
Da. We have ways of making you talk...

Quote:
I am not really shopping around for answers as so much as I am just trying to get a answer....
Its ok, I actually was trying to figure out what the hell a Intrac Arms MKII was.... I put it in google, and your other post came up.

I remember a small company (run by a veteran) used to make those- the Romy 74s with the Tantal type stock. They were around back in 06 or so, then went under.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the wire stock (Tantal style), it seems like is so small.