Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Rifle Discussion > Mosin-Nagant

Old 08-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Trusted Comrade

Default bore diameter of polish nagant

does anyone know off hand the bore diameter of the polish negant? i was told that although there all chambered for 7.62x54 the bore diamater will very from country to country. they only very about .011 of an inch and will fire any 7.62x54 round but if you get the one with the same bore diameter it we be more accurate.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

The Nagant is .290 or there abouts. Nagant is usually in reference to revolvers, not rifles. A Mosin will be .310 to .312. The major difference is with Finnish barreled Mosins, they tend to be on the tighter side. The Polish Mosins typically run .3115
Old 08-22-2010, 04:16 AM
Trusted Comrade

awsome!!! thank you, best answer i could ask for. So when i order surplus ammo. what should i ask them to know if its going to chamber well? im guessing .312 will not shoot well in my polish mosin. I was going to get a crate from aim but not sure how to ask them if its .310 or .312. my step father was saying that it will make a bit of difrence in your accuracy.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:25 AM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroenen85 View Post
awsome!!! thank you, best answer i could ask for. So when i order surplus ammo. what should i ask them to know if its going to chamber well? im guessing .312 will not shoot well in my polish mosin. I was going to get a crate from aim but not sure how to ask them if its .310 or .312. my step father was saying that it will make a bit of difrence in your accuracy.
You don't ask anything, you just buy ammo. All the x54r is designed to a certain spec. Not all manufacturers are 100% since there are acceptable tolerance differences. Ammo from different countries will perform different from your weapon. If you're after accuracy, you need to 'slug' your weapon, and try ammo from different countries to see which one your weapon likes the best. There really is no "this manufacturer/country makes the ammo for a Mosin", it's all trial and error. It also depends on the condition of the weapon in question.

Good place for some info...especially about ammo testing.
www.7.62x54r.net
Old 08-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Trusted Comrade

awsome, thank you for the great info. I hope if i buy the polish surplus it would work fine in my polish mosin. my mosin is in exellent condition. its from a privite collection that was barely used and very well taken care of.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Trusted Comrade

The Czech silvertip, if you can find it these days is typically considered some of the best surplus ammo available. I've shot just about all of the various surplus stuff floating around out there. The Polish stuff isn't too bad. My Finn capture loves the Czech stuff. I've had good success with the Hungarian ammo as well. When you find one that your particular rifle likes, buy it up. This stuff comes and goes, you never know when it might dry up and if........ it might return to the importers.