Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Rifle Discussion > SKS (Samozaryadniy Karabin sistemi Simonova)

Old 03-14-2017, 02:43 PM
Trusted Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtf-b View Post
OMG! That one of the bottom is sooo...I dunno how to describe it.... the last time saw something like that, Charleston Heston was on his knees, sobbing in front of a half buried Statue of Liberty.

No, wait, I saw one of those at a gun show. It reminded me of a high school woodshop attempt to make an AK-47 prop.

It is so ugly, I am compelled to look at it!

But then again, I have a stash of AK magazines, good SKS stripper clips are getting very rare, and...do you lose a lot velocity when you go from 20" to 16" barrel?
Laugh all you want, but those are much more desirable than standard SKS rifles!

And as ugly as you may think it is, the bottom stock works a heckuva lot better than the top one!

Beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder!
Old 03-14-2017, 10:12 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Quote:
75 FPS? That is only a 3% improvement!
Does the extra 4" of barrel remove the need for flash suppressors?
What did the Yugo M67 improve to get better more lethality with less speed?
i didn't say the m67 was slower. It's actually a hotter round. And the bullet gas a different shape. It was designed for accuracy first. Keep in mind, SKS was to replace the Mosin, RPK to replace the RPD, and AK to replace the SMG. All with the same ammo. SKS had a 20" barrel, about the same size as the M44. Muzzle velocity running right at 2400. RPK has a 23" barrel for better heat dissipation for sustaining fire, muzzle velocity right around 2,440. AK has a barrel length of 16" and a muzzle velocity right at 2,360. The M67 round running at or slightly more then 50fps faster. All of these start dropping like a stone beyond 300m. The extra barrel length offered nothing that could be called an advantage.

This is based on my experience and research with surplus ammo. Commercial ammo is a different story to a point. Just because something is faster doesn't mean it's a better performing load. 5,45 has shown this beyond 400m against the 5.56 in barrier penetration tests. That long, skinny bullet acts like a needle compared to shorter, fatter shape of the 5.56.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:14 PM
Trusted Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post

And as ugly as you may think it is, the bottom stock works a heckuva lot better than the top one!

I think they look great! Been a long time since I have seen any SKS's like that.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post

Yes, it DOES have a certain appeal.

If I should encounter one at one of the gun shows this weekend, how much should I pay?
Old 03-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Trusted Comrade

Quote:
Yes, it DOES have a certain appeal.

If I should encounter one at one of the gun shows this weekend, how much should I pay?
Depends on where you are, but around here they are going for $600-700+...

In fact, saw one with a holed stock today at a gun show. Didn't ask the price, but the same guy had an Inland M1 carbine with a non-matching (Saginaw , I believe) stock for $1K.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:44 PM

My wife has a Chinese SKS, all matching (that does include the stock) that has the bolt modification to drop the Tapco 20 round mags that she has. She loads them in the carbine with the stripper clips and they function flawlessly.

I understand many people have had trouble with the Tapco magazines but as I said that has not been our experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mary's SKS.jpg (70.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-13-2017, 11:20 AM

I prefer to leave my SKS as made. I collect and do not want to mess up a perfectly good collectible. For higher capacity I like the chinese SKS made to accept ak-47 magazines. I have also had good results with 20 round fixed chinese made magazines, which are removable and do not otherwise alter the gun. The tapco and other versions have not always worked for me. In general, when I want a higher capacity, I go with my ak-47.