Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Rifle Discussion > AK-47 (Avtomat Kalashnikova 47), AKM and all variants.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:39 PM
Founding Member

Default Yugo M70ABM Milled underfolder

Been a bit tied up lately not having much time to post. But I have done my best to continue hitting shows and hunting interesting things.

A recent find, a Yugo M70ABM. Its a rather unusual milled receiver under folder AK that Century did a few years back. Sadly when they brought in these kits they opted to do the milled receiver in a Soviet rather than the way Yugoslavia made them. It shoots nice and I will likely keep it despite its historical inaccuracy. Previous owner sadly put a 74 muzzle break on it and for whatever reason seems to have used loctite thread locker on it. I will soak it and put a plain muzzle nut on it. I don't think there are many of these around, this one has a three digit serial number below 900. A cursory search shows them as sold out and having sold via distributors ball park $675 to 750 a few years ago.

A little hard to see detail as this turned out darker than I hoped.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:58 PM
Trusted Comrade

Do you know if it has a Yugo (non-chrome) barrel? I know the recent ones had US-made receivers and barrels; but I'm not sure if the older ones were built before the barrel ban.

I take it your reference to the "Soviet style" milled receiver you mean it has the lightening cuts on both sides versus the Yugo method of only having one on the right side?

Still, if it's a shooter than enjoy it for what it is. I don't think even with the low serial number it will ever be worth much given it's not a Zastava receiver; but I don't think anyone would believe it's a collectable rifle. Heck, I wouldn't even be worried about that 74-style brake on the front unless it really bothers you. It's more effective than the slant brake anyway, and I don't think it looks too bad!

Cheers! M2
Old 12-14-2016, 08:45 PM
Founding Member

This appears to have a US barrel. Indeed its milled on both sides like a Soviet 47 rather than a Yugo 64.