Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Handgun Discussion > Makarov PM (Pistolet Makarova)

Old 04-28-2016, 02:06 AM

Default Wish this Mak could talk!

Here is a pretty salty looking '79 dated Makarov rig. This one doesn't look like it sat in a arms room. It evidences some hard use in a harsh climate. Holster condition matches the gun and has some Arabic symbols on the reverse side. Rear portion of upper holster was un-stitched to facilitate lanyard use. Bore is shiny. Both magazines have mis-matched numbers. Supposedly recovered from a Iraqi POW. Given the small size of the belt, I'd say this guy was pretty skinny and probably only too happy to surrender and get some of those delicious MRE's!

http://imgur.com/a/RK4Ln
Old 08-20-2016, 11:09 PM

Sweet piece of history there.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:44 PM
Founding Member

Interesting piece.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:22 PM
Trusted Comrade

Doesn't look that bad. Nice pistol!
Old 06-29-2017, 04:08 PM

Very nice and I'm sure that pistol could tell a story or two. The slide serrations stop three lines above the slide stop on the left side and the slide was s/n stamped mid height on the slide, making me think its Russian. I'm no expert, but just noticed that the East (and West) Germans love their stamps and they put the slide s/n slightly lower on the slide, this one is different. Not to mention they were very good at ensuring they put their marking stamps on firearms, even in communist times. Finally, North Korea and East Germany were not big arms exporters and the Soviets had the most to dish out, making me believe you have a 1961 Russian build gun. Bulgaria was cranking them out, but this pistol lacks Bulgarian looks.

The only thing that makes me think otherwise is the s/n starts with "AT", making it a 1961 East German pistol. Who knows, could be a German slide with Soviet lower? The finish seems worn evenly between the two and that may blow that theory out of the water as well.

When I was in Iraq I would come across AKs, PKMs, and RPGs that were from all over the world. Lots of AKs were Hungarian and Iraqi, PKMs seemed more Russian and an RPG we used as a door stop was Iraqi made at An Nasiriyah weapons plant and stamped in English and Arabic.

Everyone please jump in to correct me as this is a learning moment for me too.

Bottom Line: Your pistol probably has an amazing story to tell. Nice find!
Old 06-30-2017, 02:18 AM

You nailed it first time! It is a matching (except magazine) Soviet '79 Makarov.

Your also right about the E.G. ones being there as well. I picked up another non-import marked one in a Arabic marked Russian holster at a local pawn shop for $200.00 as well. Still has the cut off lanyard hanging out the bottom.

Still looking for that Iraqi marked Hi-power.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:11 AM

That's an awesome find for a great price! Well done. You have pics of the Arabic stamp marks on the forward grip frame? My Russian is better than my Arabic, but I would love to see it.

Best of luck finding the Iraqi Hi-Power. That model was Saddam's personal favorite. I'm not a fan of them, but it was a classic for years. The Belgians swore by them and it was Saddam's trusty sidekick.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:37 PM

No stamps or jeem markings on the pistol itself just the holster. Sometimes the markings/ numbers are just painted on. My friend had another Soviet era one with remnants of Arabic numbers painted on the left grip. All the pawn shop would tell me about this one is that a local soldier pawned it after returning from overseas deployment. Same guy also pawned a new condition Saddam era pistol belt (like the one in the first post ) and three AK bayonets to include a Iraqi made Tabuk one. Circumstantial to be sure but given the number of other bring back pistols encountered here it probably was a duffle bag import.