Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > The Accessory Outfitter > Knives and Bayonets

Old 04-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Founding Member

Well just feel lucky our interest is Soviet arms as they are comparatively cheap to some other militaria you can collect. My buddy John, who is also my doctor, collects Nazi daggers. Talk about some big bucks. What is worse is what they will pay for the wax paper and hang tags that were on these from the factory... We were at an OVMS show about 20 years ago and as I recall he paid $450 for and Eichorn factory hang tag and several hundred for the factory bag for some of his daggers. I was stunned. But as most of that stuff was pitched right after purchase and little survived the war, collectors go nuts for that stuff...

Talk about needing to read up, there is a lot of faked Nazi stuff out there, a mistake in this field of collecting and you can be out thousands on one purchase...

Nazi era Luftwaffe, Navy and Army daggers with original bags and tags in images below. Found those on the net as I don't have any Nazi daggers in the collection at the moment.

http://germanmilitariacollectibles.c...1_archive.html
Quote:
The Three Daggers of the Deutsche Wehrmacht. Luftwaffe, Marine and Heer. Each unissued dagger is complete with it's Eickhorn-marked paper issue bag and metal Eickhorn issue tag. Note that the model numbers on the bottom of the bags match the numbers shown in the Eickhorn Kundendienst sales catalog.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopguy View Post
Well just feel lucky our interest is Soviet arms as they are comparatively cheap to some other militaria you can collect. My buddy John, who is also my doctor, collects Nazi daggers. Talk about some big bucks. What is worse is what they will pay for the wax paper and hang tags that were on these from the factory... We were at an OVMS show about 20 years ago and as I recall he paid $450 for and Eichorn factory hang tag and several hundred for the factory bag for some of his daggers. I was stunned. But as most of that stuff was pitched right after purchase and little survived the war, collectors go nuts for that stuff...

Talk about needing to read up, there is a lot of faked Nazi stuff out there, a mistake in this field of collecting and you can be out thousands on one purchase...

Nazi era Luftwaffe, Navy and Army daggers with original bags and tags in images below. Found those on the net as I don't have any Nazi daggers in the collection at the moment.

http://germanmilitariacollectibles.c...1_archive.html

Yeah, a lot of that is too expensive for me. I have a few scabbards and HY knives, but thats about it. I do know that you guys up North have more of it than we do down South. Around here there are a bunch of fakes and the sellers even know it. Every show around here is full of fakes from uniforms, medals, and weapons. I got one 'vender' tossed out from a show in Chantilly for selling selling fake German bayonets/knives, German and Finn helmets and fake CSA swords and buckles. Its really funny when someone throws down a hardcore line about the super rare knives made by Solingen in Rostfrei, Germany..........and get madder than hell when you tell them what rostfrei means and where Solingen is and what blade companies are there. And what differentiates a Spanish post war helmet from any German/Finn issue.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Trusted Comrade

I watched a video on TV where a machine was stamping Iron Crosses somewhere in Asia and another show where someone was getting an old western revolver appraised and it was some sort of Italian fake. I bought a bunch of Morgan dollars a few years ago and one weighed slightly different and sadly a magnet sticks to it. Visually it is a near perfect lightly worn late 1800"s Morgan dollar. Sad what people will do to cheat someone. Even worse if a fake gun gets someone hurt.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 AM
Founding Member

Yeah, carry a magnet when buying coins... one has to be careful. Not exactly an example but what came to mind as I read Brad's post was something we all saw at a gun show this weekend. A fellow had one of the Carcano youth guns made to shoot blanks that the Fascists in Italy made as trainers for kids, problem is this chap intended to modify this to actually shoot a centerfire cartridge. That thing was never designed to shoot anything but blanks, its not heat treated and of questionable steel. If it does not blow in his face it will endanger someone else.

So if you ever see a Carcano that looks shrunk down and it actually shoots, run away.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:28 AM
Trusted Comrade

Someone needs to write a book title "Screwed Up Shit I See at Gun Shows"

Is it even legal to convert a Carcano trainer?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowDownZero View Post
Someone needs to write a book title "Screwed Up Shit I See at Gun Shows"

Is it even legal to convert a Carcano trainer?
LOL, well I probably could do a few chapters with all the stuff I have seen and heard at gun shows.

Good question, I imagine it is legal in most states as it is not something restricted like a machine gun but it is ill advised. The Japanese made full scale trainers that would chamber live ammo with horrid results if the trigger was pulled. A buddy bought one once for a song just to salvage parts off it for another Arisaka he had.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:24 AM
Founding Member

I recently found a Kizlyar Alligator, posting it next to my old Spetsnaz Machete for comparison.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:33 PM
Trusted Comrade

There has been some debate over whether these machetes were actually "Spetsnaz" issued. Do you have any sources that confirm that?
Old 06-21-2017, 02:58 PM
Founding Member

"Issued" is different from "used". Not everyone was issued one obviously as they are fairly rare, but I have seen photos years back of them in use.

http://blog.gruppa-l.com/uvsr-spetsnaz-machete/

Last edited by Gopguy; 06-21-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:23 PM
Trusted Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7677 View Post
Gotta love the bakalite handles....the red bastards used it everywhere.
Lol, that's funny! Yeah, they did use it everywhere.