Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Other Firearms and Related Discussion > Handguns

Old 10-07-2017, 10:34 AM
Founding Member

Default Webley Mark VI 1916 altered to .45acp

Found a nice but altered Webley Mark VI last week. A lot of these were ground by importers back in the day, to use .45acp ammo, which was more readily available in the 50s and 60s. Even now shootable supplies of .455 Webley can be scarce. Fiocchi among others load it but its not always available.

Anyways the important thing to remember is factory .45acp is way to hot for these guns. At anywhere between 19,000 and 21,000 PSI, it is like shooting a proof load in those old revolvers. The Webley is rated for ammo creating pressures around 13,000 PSI. Being that these are now approaching a century in age it is wiser to load it softer than that. You can use and shoot .45acp safely, if you use downloaded ammo. I had a buddy load some 222 grain lead bullets for me. Velocity was 715 FPS with a pressure of 9,800 PSI.

You can see the results on this old pizza box, shooting it rapid fire at 15 yards. Actually put two through the same hole though the group is nothing to brag about, it certainly would have all been on a man sized target. Not too bad for a 101 year old revolver using ammo it was not chambered for.

Last edited by Gopguy; 10-08-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:50 PM
Trusted Comrade

I have an unshaved 1918 Mk VI that I picked up about ten years ago, it is in near pristine condition and cost me a pretty penny.

I also have a small cache of .455 ammo, but as you stated it is near impossible to find any more these days.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:58 AM
Founding Member

I have a number of odd ball military arms as you guys know, things you won't find in shops. Aim Surplus is less than an hour away for me so I use them a lot. They have had it in the past but currently don't even list it as sold out... Hard to say when they will have more.

https://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=5

Old Western Scrounger is another good source... but even they don't have it right now.

http://www.ows-ammo.com/store/index....index&cPath=58
Old 10-10-2017, 06:12 PM
Trusted Comrade

Nice Webley. That .455 sure is a strange round.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:45 AM
Founding Member

It is, but they had to make it that way as they still employed some black powder era revolvers. At the turn of the previous century, it was considered a great man stopper.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:57 PM

I was given an un-altered Webley Mark VI with a box of 50 shells. Included was an original bayonet and scabbard. How rare is the bayonet and scabbard, and approximately how much does it add to the value.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:40 AM
Founding Member

Original Pritchard bayonets are rare, several hundred dollars I should guess. The replicas are $150.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:09 PM
Trusted Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsteffey View Post
I was given an un-altered Webley Mark VI with a box of 50 shells. Included was an original bayonet and scabbard. How rare is the bayonet and scabbard, and approximately how much does it add to the value.
Need pics!