Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Handgun Discussion > Nagant M1895 Revolvers

Old 10-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Trusted Comrade

Default Imperial Nagant with Shoulder Stock Slot

First, please excuse the crappy pic. They don't allow photos as this gun show, so I had to take it quickly...

What you are seeing is an Imperial Nagant 1895 with a shoulder stock slot in the handle that was up for sale for a "mere" $1200. I had never seen one nor even heard of them, and an Internet search when I got home revealed very little about them. All I could really find was a GunBoards thread that was posted on 1 April 2010, making some believe it was an April Fool's joke...

Quote:
Imperial Shoulder stock Nagants

The Imperial Russians were already experimenting with shoulder stocks on revolvers at least as early as the 1880s. There were, of course, shoulder stocks already in existence for the Smith and Wesson No 3 revolvers. Additionally a compact collapsible wire stock for a revolver was produced by Charles-François Galand.

In 1889 a shoulder stock for the S&W was presented to the weapons office of Artkom (АРТКОМ) by Lt. Colonel Mufelem (Муфелем) of the Russian artillery. In 1902 Mufelem produced a stock-holster for the Nagant. It is assumed that this was similar to the wooden holster stocks produce for the C96 Mauser pistol.

The Galand Sportsman with its folding stock

The weapons office of Artkom considered various designs to attach a stock to a revolver, considering both Russian and foreign designes, but rejected all of them. The idea of putting a stock on a revolver was out of their range of thinking because the revolver was a weapon that was for self defense only.

Testing of the Nagant revolver with some kind of removable shoulder stock was carried out in 1905. There are two known examples of 1905 dated revolvers made for some unknown type of removable stock.

An experimental 1905 dated Nagant with a shoulder stock fitting

Detail of the fitting on the 1905 dated revolver. This is identical to the fittings on the later 1913-15 dated stock slot revolvers.

The question of putting a stock on a revolver reappeared in 1912, when the GAU (ГАУ) asked to replace the revolver and put out order No 2167 on 17 May 1912 to manufacture a new model of pistol. In accordance with this directive, along with the design of new models for consideration of acceptance, was the improvement in design of the existing revolver.

In 1912-1913 a batch of test revolvers were made with 200 mm barrels and detachable shoulder stocks. These guns were planned to arm lower ranks of support or technical troops (machine gunners, communication troops, telegraphers, sappers, etc.) which were formerly armed with rifles, as well as revolvers. None of these are known to exist today.
The one we saw yesterday had '1904' on the right grip and the serial number engraved similarly on the left one.

Unfortunately, my pockets weren't deep enough but I would have loved to have had it. I know the seller and may have been able to get him to come off the price a bit, but most likely not too much as due to the rarity of such a revolver.

Does anyone know anything else about them?

Cheers! M2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imperial Nagant with Stock Slot.jpg (97.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-08-2017, 04:11 PM
Founding Member

Yup that was very rare and frankly a bargain if it was not import stamped. Imperial Nagants bring a pretty penny.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Trusted Comrade

Very nice OP! I'm jealous!
Old 10-13-2017, 07:30 PM
Trusted Comrade

Better pics, which only make me want it even more!

I may actually see the seller at a show tomorrow, I will find out if he still has it!

Cheers! M2

Last edited by majormadmax; 10-13-2017 at 07:32 PM.