Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Other Firearms and Related Discussion > Long Guns

Old 07-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Trusted Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by einheit 13 View Post
I cast my own 900gr bullets. Brass costs me about $20 each. I load it light, 2800fps. Yes, it can get expensive really fast. I have seen for $90 a shot. I found a supplier for surplus ammo from the 80s, but its 500k rounds for $550k! This is the 1025gr heavy....3300 fps and 24,400 ft/lbs...

I have only pulled the trigger 20 times. My opa used to shoot it a lot. Cost too much for me anymore. It just sits locked away in 3 pieces till I can take it out again. The barrel is about half life.

I usually buy inert ammo. 10rds with a usable case and projectile typically run 20 for $200.

SSK has a 50bmg with a 14.5mm bullet. Been reading about it a bit, but still too pricey for me.
After some digging all I was able to find was huge surplus lots for $100K and up and one that was 200 rounds for $ $6000 but I don't think it was for sale to civilians due to the fact it was API.

You ever think about getting some bullets lathed for that beast? 1025gr solid copper or brass moving at 3000+ fps would probably punch through an armored car no problem. I wonder if any one has ever necked one down to 50 cal it wouldn't have much barrel life but that thing would be a laser at 1000 yards.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:47 AM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Not much cheaper then getting surplus AP projectiles. They are exempt just like 06 and 50. Problem is, it serves no purpose other then anti material and anti armour. With 50s, you can build a platform for 6" groups at 1000. The 14.5 is brutal, we're talking happiness with 6' at 1000...lol. Then a barrel Chang at what, 200rds? That round, like the 20mm is for war.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Trusted Comrade

The world record .50 shooter shot a 5 round group at 1,000 yrds. His group was less than 2 inches. And we are talking about a round that is a half inch thick. That doesnt leave any room for error or mother nature.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Trusted Comrade

Quote:
Not much cheaper then getting surplus AP projectiles. They are exempt just like 06 and 50. Problem is, it serves no purpose other then anti material and anti armour. With 50s, you can build a platform for 6" groups at 1000. The 14.5 is brutal, we're talking happiness with 6' at 1000...lol. Then a barrel Chang at what, 200rds? That round, like the 20mm is for war.
Oh I see didn't know they were exempt. No doubt the 14.5 bullets are not for any kind of long range accuracy guns chambered in that round are more like artillery pieces than conventional small arms.

However, I was talking about doing a wild cat based on x114 brass and necking it down to 50 cal for long range use it would be custom job through and through. Just crunching the numbers and assuming a muzzle velocity of at least 4050 fps (probably being conservative) and taking a 798 gr bullet with a g1 bc of .970. Even in a full value 10mph wind you would only get 106.95" of drop and 24.61" of drift at 1000 yards and the bullet would still have a velocity of 2966 fps or point blank from standard 50 cal. Basically if you know what you're doing you would be hard pressed to miss a man sized target.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowDownZero View Post
Oh I see didn't know they were exempt. No doubt the 14.5 bullets are not for any kind of long range accuracy guns chambered in that round are more like artillery pieces than conventional small arms.

However, I was talking about doing a wild cat based on x114 brass and necking it down to 50 cal for long range use it would be custom job through and through. Just crunching the numbers and assuming a muzzle velocity of at least 4050 fps (probably being conservative) and taking a 798 gr bullet with a g1 bc of .970. Even in a full value 10mph wind you would only get 106.95" of drop and 24.61" of drift at 1000 yards and the bullet would still have a velocity of 2966 fps or point blank from standard 50 cal. Basically if you know what you're doing you would be hard pressed to miss a man sized target.
Just the projectiles, not the loaded ammo. Can't import 50 or bigger when its loaded, components only.

Holy poop! Still super sonic at 1000y?? I wonder how the bullet would act. I have some screamers in .17cal running at over 4300 get hot enough to split the copper jacket. All the 600m shots were key holes.

Man, i don't think I could track that at 1/4 focus in my spotting scope. That creation is rail gun territory. Hmm...no imagine it made of tungsten. I wouldn't even begin to guess a twist rate/optimum barrel length, or an action. What king of pressure are we talking?? I can't do the math in my head, I have to look at loading charts. I wonder if an old Martini action could hold up. Those blocks of steel are pretty strong. My friend has one with a 1.5" thick barrel, 2.5" at the chamber, and runs a 50 cases with 175gr .323 BT...light 7.92 Mauser bullets . He's getting 3700ish but goes sub-sonic at 800m. The wind really pushes it to. Damn gun weighs 18lbs.

I haven't paid much attention to wildcats out side of pistol rounds. 9.2x19mm, and 32NAA is all i've messed with. I really like the 32NAA with the loading that those goofs at Extreme Shock use. 4.2" barrel throwing a 60gr .32 at 1800+ fps...WOW!
Old 07-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Trusted Comrade

Quote:
Just the projectiles, not the loaded ammo. Can't import 50 or bigger when its loaded, components only.

Holy poop! Still super sonic at 1000y?? I wonder how the bullet would act. I have some screamers in .17cal running at over 4300 get hot enough to split the copper jacket. All the 600m shots were key holes.

Man, i don't think I could track that at 1/4 focus in my spotting scope. That creation is rail gun territory. Hmm...no imagine it made of tungsten. I wouldn't even begin to guess a twist rate/optimum barrel length, or an action. What king of pressure are we talking?? I can't do the math in my head, I have to look at loading charts. I wonder if an old Martini action could hold up. Those blocks of steel are pretty strong. My friend has one with a 1.5" thick barrel, 2.5" at the chamber, and runs a 50 cases with 175gr .323 BT...light 7.92 Mauser bullets . He's getting 3700ish but goes sub-sonic at 800m. The wind really pushes it to. Damn gun weighs 18lbs.

I haven't paid much attention to wildcats out side of pistol rounds. 9.2x19mm, and 32NAA is all i've messed with. I really like the 32NAA with the loading that those goofs at Extreme Shock use. 4.2" barrel throwing a 60gr .32 at 1800+ fps...WOW!

Good question. Lol I don't think I know anyone that can do the kind of math needed to do this in their head, you would have to have a super human memory to do it. Anyway, after some frustration I am getting an estimated chamber pressure some where in the neighborhood of 100,000 & 120,000 PSI depending on how long the barrel is, I needed give it a barrel length above 56" to get pressure below 100,000 PSI. Of course the only accurate way to do this would be to actually measure it because there is alot of variables you cant account for.
You would need one hell of an action and barrel for this thing.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:45 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Wow, I was thinking around 80k to 90k...that is cannon range there.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:06 AM

I need help , i bought an altered Catamount fury 2 . I am in search of a new barrel. Can they be purchased separately ? If so , where ? Please help !