Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Handgun Discussion > Tokarev TT

 

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-28-2016, 07:20 PM
atorchedmustang atorchedmustang is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 2
Default M57, weird style import safety

Hello guys, new to the forum. I picked up a new to me M57 from classicfirearms. I'm not picky but the safety feels completely terrible. I accidentally butchered the handgaurd while trying to clearance the safety, I'll have a new set coming... The left grip was actually blocking the safety lever from moving completely into the fire position.

BUT after consulting the internet I have not seen a Tok that has a safety like mine; most of the ones that are similar have a notch in the slide to either grab or allow the safety lever to travel. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161028_200643.jpg (105.3 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-28-2016, 07:44 PM
jtf-b jtf-b is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 66
Default

I was tempted to get one, but I was concerned about magazine availability. Given the current political situation, I'd want at least ten magazines for any pistol...a lifetime supply.

The magazine is longer in this model than all the other TT-33 pistol variants.

I have heard that VZ-52 pistol magazines can be adapted for use in M-57 pistols. Has anyone tried this?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-29-2016, 11:02 AM
einheit 13's Avatar
einheit 13 einheit 13 is offline
Soviet Steel Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: hampton, Va C.S.A.
Posts: 4,256
Default

Whoever imported the pistol did a crappy job of adding the safety. Only newer production M57s come from the factory with a slide notch and safety from the factory. That pistol is a true TT33 design and the safety is added for import compliance. Get a new lever or return the pistol.
__________________
Behüte mich Gott vor meinen Freunden, mit den Feinden will ich schon fertig werden!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-29-2016, 06:52 PM
mosintoter's Avatar
mosintoter mosintoter is offline
Trusted Comrade
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 920
Default

Whoa, never seen one like that before.
__________________
My wife thinks my M91/30's are haunted.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-29-2016, 11:56 PM
atorchedmustang atorchedmustang is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 2
Default

I should note that the grip covered the entire bottom of the safety except for the "tang" that your thumb can grip, problem was it wouldn't move into the fire position. If that makes sense...

It was imported by PW Arms.

Last edited by atorchedmustang; 10-30-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-30-2016, 07:31 AM
einheit 13's Avatar
einheit 13 einheit 13 is offline
Soviet Steel Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: hampton, Va C.S.A.
Posts: 4,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atorchedmustang View Post
I should note that the grip covered the entire bottom of the safety except for the "tang" that your thumb can grip, problem was it wouldn't move into the fire position. If that makes sense...

It was imported by PW Arms.
That is what it should do. The grip is relieved for it. The M70As were the first ones to get a safety, and they were slide mounted. Some TT-33s and some M57s got a safety like some Polish and Romanian TTs. A simple lever that liked to flop around. Half cock is the safety. If it were mine, and this is just me, i would remove the safety and plug the holes caps. If you really want a safety, do as I posted above since, technically, it doesn't work and the firearm is defective. Unless stated as a 'gunsmith special' or sold as 'needing repair', the gun is broken.
__________________
Behüte mich Gott vor meinen Freunden, mit den Feinden will ich schon fertig werden!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-06-2017, 12:53 AM
WSSB WSSB is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4
Red face REALLY SAFE, Cannot fire. 🙄

A truly safe safety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atorchedmustang View Post
Hello guys, new to the forum. I picked up a new to me M57 from classicfirearms. I'm not picky but the safety feels completely terrible. I accidentally butchered the handgaurd while trying to clearance the safety, I'll have a new set coming... The left grip was actually blocking the safety lever from moving completely into the fire position.

BUT after consulting the internet I have not seen a Tok that has a safety like mine; most of the ones that are similar have a notch in the slide to either grab or allow the safety lever to travel. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-16-2017, 05:27 PM
[email protected] Heyitsthatkid@aol.com is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1
Smile Romanian TTC safety replacement.

I made the mistake of removing the safety for maintenance, and anyone who has done that before knows the safety detent pin, immediately shoots out. It is so small that it has been impossible to find.
I have that switch style safety that everyone hates, but I actually like it.
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a replacement detent pin, or safety set.
Or if any of you would be willing to part with your safety detent pin, then I would be more than willing to talk about it.
Either way, if you could email me with any info, I would appreciate it. I'm posting this in a few Tok forums and hoping for a solution.
Thanks

[email protected]
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-08-2018, 11:33 AM
DrDKW DrDKW is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I made the mistake of removing the safety for maintenance, and anyone who has done that before knows the safety detent pin, immediately shoots out. It is so small that it has been impossible to find.
I have that switch style safety that everyone hates, but I actually like it.
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a replacement detent pin, or safety set.
Or if any of you would be willing to part with your safety detent pin, then I would be more than willing to talk about it.
Either way, if you could email me with any info, I would appreciate it. I'm posting this in a few Tok forums and hoping for a solution.
Thanks

[email protected]
On my Romanian TTC, the add-on safety is near the trigger, with the left grip cut away to allow clearance. While it's pretty crude, it does work and I have no plans to remove it. As for the missing parts, the detent-pin was missing from my Russian TT-33's add-on safety. But I was able to make a replacement from a small nail, using a bench-grinder.
I haven't had my TTC safety apart, but I suspect your missing detent is a tiny ball-bearing & spring. My local 'Mom & Pop' hardware store carries a comprehensive hardware section, including small ball bearings and springs.
See if you have anything like that in your area. You also might be able to find something you could use at a hobby-shop that caters to radio-control model boats, airplanes or race-cars. Bring the safety with you (but don't lose it!)
You might be able to find something online from some of the gun-parts vendors, as detent balls & springs were used on other firearms. But it will be tricky without having all the parts in hand to check for fit - or maybe you can find something at a gun-show.

I've seen two types of M57 add-on safeties. Mine has a solid machined-piece retained under a cut-out in the upper rear of the grip and relies on only the grip itself to apply pressure for the detent. Mine was so tight & stiff, I had to use a small screwdriver to operate the safety.
Repeated careful filing and scraping on the grip cut-out, eventually made it easy enough to put the safety on with my thumbnail, and while gripped, I can bump it off with my thumb - which is probably about as good as one of these add-on safeties gets.

I checked out several other surplus M57s, for sale at a show this weekend, and instead of a solid, machined piece like mine, some had a stamped-steel safety with a hollow lever, and what looked like a detent-spring inside. On those, the grip only appeared to retain the safety in the frame, without applying extra pressure for the detent. They seemed to work better than the other design.

My commercial 9mm Zsatava M70a, and I believe also the late or commercial M57s, have factory, slide-mount safeties.

Happy Motoring, Mark

Last edited by DrDKW; 01-08-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Soviet-Steel.Com 2013