Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Machine Guns, Submachineguns, and Machine Pistols > Soviet Machine Guns, Submachineguns, and Machine Pistols

Old 01-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Trusted Comrade

Default Potential pawn shop find, IO PPSH clone

Need advice guys.

Had to run an errand on the other side of town today and had chance to pop into a pawn shop that typically has a very unique and fully stocked gun department. As usual they had some great milsurps.

One that really caught my eye was what I believe to be an IO PPSH clone. Unfortunately I know very little of the PPSH clones and I only had a few minutes to check it out, the staff in that shop took forever to send someone over to the gun counter. I just gave it the quick once over.

Heres the description as best as I can describe. Original length barrel and shroud. Had a steel pipe it appeared welded in several spots. Refinished so the welds look professional, almost like thats how it was supposed to be. Rest of the parts kit appeared good condition. Had a 72 round drum and a sling on it.

He had it priced 945.99 but told me 700 out the door if I was seriously interested.

Of course I'm interested. I'm googling right now for anything I can scrounge up on IO's PPSH clones. Was hoping you guys might have some insight as well.

Sound like its worth driving back over there for another look or is 700 getting raped?

I was thinking of obtaining another AR15 but a PPSH would be pretty cool. Even a nuetuered one in semi auto/extended barrel. I'm a milsurp guy at heart, it called my name LOL

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Bet you its a MGS/TNG/Wiselite (aka Elite) product....IO/Royal Tiger Imports don't exactly make any weapons worth that much money-nor do they import the best quality.....remember the Weiger clones they sold that were gust re-badged Cugir/WaSR rifles??. At the MGS website, they are taking orders for PPSh-41s for $795.....

Quote:
Semiautomatic version of one of the most recognizable guns of WWII. The "papa-shaw" or burp gun was one of the best submachine guns ever produced, and saw extensive action from Stalingrad to the Chosin Reservoir. This rugged gun is chambered in the hot 7.62x25 round and accepts stick or drum magazines. The barrel/shroud has been extended to 16" length to comply with ATF regulations. Includes 1 36rd Stick Mag (drum pictured not included). Reenactors version also available with removable blank firing adapter.

We have teamed up with TNW to bring you a new and improved PPSh41 design that will really knock your socks off!

These PPSh-41's feature an overall updated design, and are truly a work of art. Function, reliability, and aesthetics have all received an extensive makeover, and fit and finish is quite impressive.
http://militarygunsupply.com/index.p...ex&cPath=14_15

Last edited by einheit 13; 01-27-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Trusted Comrade

Thanks for your reply Einheit. Did a bunch of googling on all the PPSh clones out there, found out some things to look for with the IO guns specifically. Turned out this one I found is one of thier earlier runs and has some potential issues. Being from a pawnshop and not talking to the previous owner(s) of this particular example I'd have no way of knowing if it was ever sent in for the recall repair or not. Possibly a good reason why it was dumped off in a pawn shop. The more I thought about it I decided to pass on it. Neat piece of history, well the parts kit part of it but I can live without it or the potential headache it might have been.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the reply Einheit. This was a whim consideration anyways. If I'm ever seriously intersted in a PPSh type clone now I know where to be looking.

Last edited by jeremywills; 01-29-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Founding Member

I know how those whims are... it's usually best to avoid them.

I don't much about those clones but I do know enough about I.O/Royal tiger to know i'd never buy anything that they have their hand in making.