Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Other Firearms and Related Discussion > Handguns

Old 11-17-2016, 07:25 AM
Founding Member

Default Enfield Number 2 snub nose.

In the 1960s a huge number of WWII era firearms were brought in by various importers in the golden age of mail order firearm sales. Among them were a large number of Webley and Enfield revolvers. At one point one importer, Seaport Traders decided to make the .38/200 Enfield more marketable by having the barrels shortened. In 1960 they sold them for the princely sum of $16.95. The dollar had some real value in those days.

In modifying these revolvers they actually ended up creating a interesting bit of trivia, a link to the Kennedy assassination three years later. The link, the gun smith a Mr. LM Johnson, who shortened the barrels was the same gun smith the importer used to shorten barrels on a number of Smith and Wesson Model 10 revolvers that were also in inventory. One of those guns was used by Lee Harvey Oswald to shoot a police officer in the wake of the shooting of Kennedy in Dealey Plaza.

The gun actually shoots fairly well. The barrel shortening was very professionally done as was the re-crowning of the barrel. The previous owner used this for home defense and even had some hollow point ammo made up for the gun, but at less than 700fps I am not sure how well these slugs would open up.

http://www.nrvoutdoors.com/ENFIELD%2...ELD%20SNUB.htm

Old 11-17-2016, 02:06 PM
Trusted Comrade

Cool revolver and background, thanks for sharing!
Old 11-17-2016, 02:14 PM
Founding Member

We try to keep it interesting.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:55 PM
Trusted Comrade

Man, can't say I have ever seen that done to a British revolver before! Most certainly different.