Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Rifle Discussion > SKS (Samozaryadniy Karabin sistemi Simonova)

Old 02-01-2018, 10:02 PM

Default Generation War

The StG 44 (abbreviation of Sturmgewehr 44, "assault rifle 44") is a German selective-fire rifle developed during World War II. It is also known under the designations MP 43 and MP 44 (Maschinenpistole 43, Maschinenpistole 44 respectively).
The StG 44 was the first successful and widely produced design to use a new shorter cartridge, which permitted controllable automatic fire from a weapon more compact than a battle rifle, coupled with the recognition that most aimed rifle fire in combat situations did not exceed a few hundred metres.[5]
By all accounts, the StG 44 fulfilled its role effectively, particularly on the Eastern Front, offering a greatly increased volume of fire compared to standard infantry rifles.[5] However, it came too late to have a significant effect on the outcome of the war.[6] Its lasting effect was its major impact on modern infantry small arms development, giving rise to an entire class of weapons using the name assault rifle.[5]
Old 02-02-2018, 07:59 PM
Trusted Comrade

OK, so you can cut-and-paste from Wikipedia. That's great!

Secondly, if you haven't noticed, the name of the forum is Soviet Steel...

Welcome to the forum, I'm looking forward to hearing about Russian or Warsaw Pact items you are interested in!

Cheers! M2
Old 02-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Watching....
Old 02-03-2018, 11:51 AM
Trusted Comrade

Welcome. We do have "General Firearms", "Handguns" and "Long guns" sections and I for one love hearing of and seeing most any firearms. Why I've even made a couple posts and pictures of some Mausers, Walthers, and even (shudder at the thought) one or two of my ARs. The StG-44 is indeed a historic firearm. Again, welcome.

Last edited by charlie1952; 02-03-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:04 PM
Trusted Comrade

Welcome to the forum OP. Do you own one of the rifles you are referring to? If so, pictures would be awesome!