Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Other Firearms and Related Discussion > Gunsmithing and Restoration

Old 06-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Trusted Comrade

Default Tok refinihing

So I painted my Tok with Alumahyde and and now I cannot get it back together because 2 coats of paint was too thick. On top of that the finish just isn't near as durable as I expected. Trying to put it back together I scratched the crap out of the finish. So the only thing I can think of is to sand all that back off and then blue it. I hate bluing because its just controlled rust and doesn't really do anything to protect the metal just change the color. What are your thoughts on this project? Should I go with a cold blue? What bluing works well? Or should I go with another finish?
Old 06-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Trusted Comrade

Any real fix will cost more than the pistol. I would make it fit back together (ruin finish) and rock it like a two dollar hooker.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Trusted Comrade

Lol well I took your advice and lightly sanded the parts that where giving me trouble. Half the paint from the trigger is gone. All the paint where the barrel bushing meets the slide is gone. I had to lightly sand the barrel because it would not slide in and out of the bushing. I got it back together and it still looks pretty good. Maybe Ill touch up the trigger with a little paint and a Q-Tip and then sand it down to match the rest of the trigger. I dont know how long this finish will last but it seems to be getting harder. I did a light scratch test with a piece of metal and the finish got a mark on it but did not come off. So maybe it wont be so bad Now I want to do what I saw in a Youtube video and get some nice wood 1911 grips for it and then drill and tap the gun to screw in the wood grips. It looked really nice on the one I saw. And 1911 grips can be found pretty cheap.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Trusted Comrade

The amount of money you're going to put into fixing a TTC with the shitty safety isn't worth it. Dispose of it somehow and buy a new Zastava M57A. It'll be brand new, it'll be about $250, and they have safeties that work, which means that it won't have a gaping hole in it because the safety got removed.
“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”

– John Adams
Old 06-23-2013, 12:06 AM
Trusted Comrade

No way TK. I love my Tok. It is the most accurate and reliable pistol I have ever shot. I took out my safety a long time ago and I don't really care about the hole since the magazine covers it and keeps out the dust. I thought about filling the hole with JB Weld and sanding it flush with the metal before I painted it but the hole really doesn't bother me enough to go through all that trouble. Also I know I'm going to get some shit for this But I never use a safety anyway. I am a trained soldier, carry a gun everyday and have never had an accidental discharge. My finger is my safety. Ever gun spread through out my house is locked loaded and safety off.
Do I think a safety is a good idea? Yes for most people. Then again I dont trust most people at the range. In fact I wear my lvl 3 vest to the range because I have been flagged by way too many people. Most recently by an old man probably in his 70's He was loading his rounds in the magazine backwards... He must have flagged me wit his muzzle while loading a new mag at least a dozen times. The range officer kept yelling at him. Hes lucky I didn't take his ass down to the ground for it. I know the range would have understood my concern. Shaky ass old man keeps pointing his gun at me.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Trusted Comrade

I don't find safeties to be needed either. Do you know how many times I've used the safety on my M91/30? None. I just use the safety on the M57A because its there. Besides, the Tokarev triggers are heavy and long enough so that if there is an accidental discharge, you'd have to be pretty stupid to pull the trigger all the way. If the mag is out on a M57A, the trigger is disconnected.
“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”

– John Adams
Old 06-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroenen85 View Post
No way TK. I love my Tok. It is the most accurate and reliable pistol I have ever shot. I took out my safety a long time ago and I don't really care about the hole since the magazine covers it and keeps out the dust. I thought about filling the hole with JB Weld and sanding it flush with the metal before I painted it but the hole really doesn't bother me enough to go through all that trouble. Also I know I'm going to get some shit for this But I never use a safety anyway. I am a trained soldier, carry a gun everyday and have never had an accidental discharge. My finger is my safety. Ever gun spread through out my house is locked loaded and safety off.
Do I think a safety is a good idea? Yes for most people. Then again I dont trust most people at the range. In fact I wear my lvl 3 vest to the range because I have been flagged by way too many people. Most recently by an old man probably in his 70's He was loading his rounds in the magazine backwards... He must have flagged me wit his muzzle while loading a new mag at least a dozen times. The range officer kept yelling at him. Hes lucky I didn't take his ass down to the ground for it. I know the range would have understood my concern. Shaky ass old man keeps pointing his gun at me.
Doesn't that drive you nuts?? I have drawn on people for repeatedly doing that!
Old 06-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Trusted Comrade

Cant stand it. I should have brought him down to the ground for it. Maybe he would have learned something.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:06 AM

Buy a kit from birchwood casey. it has a stripping compound, cleaner and a rebluing. Although I would buy them seperate and use the Super Blue instead. The regular blue isnt dark enough. I used it on a rusted out CZ pistol and worked good. Not perfect, but you dont notice the flaws unless you are holding it up close. Less than $20 will fix your problem