Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Other Firearms and Related Discussion > Gunsmithing and Restoration

Old 01-18-2018, 11:48 AM

Default Welding Sight Mt Plate to AK Receiver ?

I want to mount this SVD scope mounting plate to my FEG SA2000M AK receiver. This plate has no mounting holes & won't be easy to place in the customary way. The plate fits my POSP military scope, & needs to be mounted higher on the receiver than typical factory mounts anyway. Feg receivers are extra hard to drill & I'm concerned about scope placement vs. receiver internals..
SO, wondering if skillful TIG WELDS at both ends of this plate would do the job ?
opinions ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (22.7 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by crazig; 01-19-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:06 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Why not use a standard rail? You are severely limiting your options with that rail. PSO and PSOP universal bottom mounts are like $40 and allow you to fit SKS/SVD mounts so they fit AK rails. Gives more freedom to use across weapon platforms. Kalinka Optics has them in stock.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:30 PM
Trusted Comrade

Well, if you weld it in place, you better make damn sure you have it mounted straight.