Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Machine Guns, Submachineguns, and Machine Pistols > Soviet Machine Guns, Submachineguns, and Machine Pistols

Old 10-11-2014, 08:04 AM

Default PPS-43C Magazine Speed loader

I had to share this recent find.
I recently purchased a handful of tokarev stripper clips on ebay ,loaded them up with the 8 rounds they were designed for.Then,upon some head scratching,was trying to figure out how to load em into the PPS-43C magazines???? The strippers themselves would not affix themselves to the mag body anywhere (duh) so i busted out my Strip Lula Mini-14 speedloader (.223) and would'nt you know,the strippers slid right in (thru the top of loader) and with the slider,pressed it down and zipped them right in. Hell Yes!
Then,i wondered if the 7.62x25 Tokarev round would slide into my .223 strippers....and they did with ease.I took it a step further and elongated a vertical hole at the lower end where you would place your thumb to steady the lula when loading.As you can see, when you set the lula on the PPS43 mag,there is a small spine (mag catch) about 13mm in length which will contact the lower portion of the lulas(both models mentioned).
I dremmeled out a vertical slot which allows the mag catch,spine,to drop into the cutout and add soooooooo much more stability when loading.
Now with a capacity of 10 rounds using the .223 over the 8 round Tokarev strippers,sure made swift work of loading these humongous magazines for some fun range time.
Try this...Mini-14 .223 strip lula mag loader (#24201),.....223 or Tokarev strippers with your 7.62x25 Tokarev ammo of course and no more sore thumbs...I'm just say'in!
I anyone has the strip lula #24200 for the AR15/M16 and has a PPS43C,try loading that one up with 7.62x25 and let us know if that works too.

UPDATE:

An update to this thread.
I went to a local gun show today and purchased the Butler Creek Strip Lula #24200 which is for the M16/AR15 and it works for loading the PPS43-C as well.
I took it a step further and elongated a vertical hole at the lower end where you would place your thumb to steady the lula when loading.As you can see, when you set the lula on the PPS43 mag,there is a small spine (mag catch) about 13mm in length which will contact the lower portion of the lulas(both models mentioned).
I dremmeled out a vertical slot which allows the mag catch,spine,to drop into the cutout and add soooooooo much more stability when loading.
Once again,
I'm just say'in! Works for me.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:11 AM

Hey Another that will work even better is the Carl Gustov loader. If you grind off the bottom for a flush fit it will work awesome! It can also be used for many other smg's. They are still available from numirich WITH TRAYS which is a huge bounus! I find myself using this more than all my other speedl oaders combined.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:34 AM

Default Thermold and AK-74 applications

I have also had success with the Thermold AR-15 magazine charger, the one the Canadian Armed Forces adopted and that work with their plastic stripper clips (as well as steel ones, too.) Without modification, Tok ammo on m-16 stripper clips work well. If you were to insert a piece of wood to take up the space left by the shorter magazines and rounds, it would work even better.

Earlier this week, I decided to try putting 7.62x25 round on the 15-round AK-74 stripper clips. The 5.45x39 round case head is of a similar size. Since I already had the charger (magazine adapter on it), I tried putting it on the PPS-43 magazine and tried to load. It worked.

How available are AK-74 stripper clips, nowadays?
Old 11-04-2015, 10:34 AM

Ideally, AR-15/M-16 are the preferred solution, since they are the most available, hold ten rounds, and have more chargers designed to accommodate them (Butler Creek, M-16 and Mini-14 chargers, Lula, Thermold).

Last edited by jtf-b; 11-04-2015 at 10:37 AM.