Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Rifle Discussion > Mosin-Nagant

Old 06-30-2017, 12:21 PM

Fteter,

Excellent point and I'm ashamed for not thinking of the obvious. Two conflicts right now where the Russians are currently engaged (Ukraine and Syria) are definitely consuming ammo.

As for the pesky ban on Russian imports... was hoping that would have gone away, but with the US and Russian tensions gaining ground in Syria, especially since a US Navy F-18 shot down a Syrian (Russia's little brother) Su-22 for bombing allied positions; I don't see the ban lifting too soon.

I've thought a lot about of reloading over the years, and saved a decades' worth of M2 Ball (.30-06 M1), 9mm, 5.56mm brass but have yet to buy a reloading press. I think that you're onto something as the chamber on the Mosin, specifically that its a bolt action; would be a great place to start. I think you could get away just fine with hand loading/ neck sizing your brass as long as you matched the brass to the rifle it was fired out of. Now if I can just find a place that X54R brass cased ammo in stock.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:22 PM

I'm in a similar boat to you regarding reloading. Have a shotgun shell reloader, but that's a whole different animal. I've thought about reloading and studied on it, but have yet to buy a press. My approach up to this point has been similar to yours...just stack ammo high and deep.

But now I'm down to my last 1600 rounds of 7.62x54r. And I'm looking at the cost of reloading vs the going price for Wolf and Tula steelcase. And I'm reaching the conclusion that reloading makes sense. So if I can find a good supplier of brass and primers, I think it'll be time to buy that press.

My concern for 7.62x54r is not that production will stop. As you point out, the round is still in production. My worry is that, due to global situations, the supply for the US market will shrink - which in turn leads to poor availability and high prices.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:39 PM
Trusted Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by fteter View Post
All good points. I think the challenge with the older milsurp stuff is a combination of two things. First, there's an awful lot of 7.62x54r going to Ukraine and Syria at moment. Second, there is that pesky ban on Russian firearms and ammo imports.

On the upside, Tula and Wolf are cranking out steel case as fast as they can. I'm not happy about the pricing on that stuff, but at least it's plentiful. But I'm still thinking I may reload...
Yeah, our local Walmart has had some on the shelves at times.