Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Handgun Discussion > Nagant M1895 Revolvers

Old 02-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopguy View Post
Hey glad to be of help. Part of the passion is sharing the knowledge. Romanov era revolvers are somewhat hard to find, I look forward to seeing the pics when you get them up.
So here it is: They scraped the markings and painted right over the bondo, so to speak, but that's bound to happen during the life of a hundred year old gun.

BTW: Why do some go to the trouble to obscure their serial numbers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (92.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0009.jpg (94.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (92.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (85.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by alphashifter; 02-13-2010 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Added a question
Old 02-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Founding Member

Nice piece of history there. Wish she could tell her story. Not surprised about the Imperial markings being defaced. That was SOP in the Soviet era... the number however is odd. Usually obscured serial numbers suggests theft somewhere along the line...
Old 02-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Nice piece of history there. Wish she could tell her story. Not surprised about the Imperial markings being defaced. That was SOP in the Soviet era... the number however is odd. Usually obscured serial numbers suggests theft somewhere along the line...
Yeah, I always hear of Stalin having people removed from pictures...(A form of revisionist history, similar to what some in Texas are seeing in textbooks, from what I hear)
No evidence of obscured serial numbers on my firearm (Good point: that would make me uneasy) - I was wondering why some people go to the trouble of "photoshopping" their SNs before posting the pic to the web.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Founding Member

Sorry I misunderstood your question on obscuring serial numbers Alphashifter. I think people do it for security reasons.

I know when I started collecting and reading the gun magazines it was SOP to XXX out the last few numbers, but give the letter prefix or suffix and first few numbers to help nail down a date of production.

I guess some criminal could take a number and claim his gun was stolen, give your number/info and then contest ownership, that is why you keep receipts and document your ownership.

Then there is the Big Brother, concern.
I suppose if there were a central clearing house where all form 4473s were computerized then a serial number could be linked to a name and address. Now the ATF does have a facility in Morgantown West Virginia where something like that happens, but it is illegal to use it for the purpose mentioned above. But just because it is illegal, does not mean they don't do it. I say that because of what happened in the 90s.

Something like that was tried in the Clinton era in Allegheny county using a Department of Justice grant. The thing was supposed to be Janet Reno's brainchild. Pittsburgh as I recall participated in a program where gun owners(and dealers) were going to be identified on a map, by having used the 4473 to identify them. The idea was if the Police were called to say 123 Main street they would be warned that two doors down Joe Smith had a AR-15 and a Colt .45 acp. (as though he were some kind of threat because he owned a gun.) Luckily a deputy who saw what was going on and what was intended contacted the NRA and the NRA got it killed.

As the NRA said about this, think about all the police scanners out there where people would have heard that Joe Smith down the road had guns, and the danger his home would then have risked of break in for those guns. Not to mention the whole scheme violated the provisions of the 1968 GCA use of the information on a 4473...

I hope that answers the question somewhat.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Sorry I misunderstood your question on obscuring serial numbers Alphashifter. I think people do it for security reasons.

I know when I started collecting and reading the gun magazines it was SOP to XXX out the last few numbers, but give the letter prefix or suffix and first few numbers to help nail down a date of production.

I guess some criminal could take a number and claim his gun was stolen, give your number/info and then contest ownership, that is why you keep receipts and document your ownership.

Then there is the Big Brother, concern.
I suppose if there were a central clearing house where all form 4473s were computerized then a serial number could be linked to a name and address. Now the ATF does have a facility in Morgantown West Virginia where something like that happens, but it is illegal to use it for the purpose mentioned above. But just because it is illegal, does not mean they don't do it. I say that because of what happened in the 90s.

Something like that was tried in the Clinton era in Allegheny county using a Department of Justice grant. The thing was supposed to be Janet Reno's brainchild. Pittsburgh as I recall participated in a program where gun owners(and dealers) were going to be identified on a map, by having used the 4473 to identify them. The idea was if the Police were called to say 123 Main street they would be warned that two doors down Joe Smith had a AR-15 and a Colt .45 acp. (as though he were some kind of threat because he owned a gun.) Luckily a deputy who saw what was going on and what was intended contacted the NRA and the NRA got it killed.

As the NRA said about this, think about all the police scanners out there where people would have heard that Joe Smith down the road had guns, and the danger his home would then have risked of break in for those guns. Not to mention the whole scheme violated the provisions of the 1968 GCA use of the information on a 4473...

I hope that answers the question somewhat.
Thoroughly. Enough I'll be editing some pics this weekend.
Thanks again Gopguy.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
I always enjoyed Robert K. Massie's works on the Romanovs. They were distant cousins of mine so the history interests me.
His bio of Peter the Great was a really entertaining read as well. He singlehandedly took medieval Russia and dragged it kicking and drinking....er, screaming into the modern age.
The AK-47: Designed to be easily field stripped, reassembled, and used by half-drunk, half-frozen, illiterate conscripts. Standard Operating Procedure upon finding one buried in Mother Russia's mud after last year's Regimental exercises: retrieve from ground, pee into action, cycle bolt, and get back to work.

If it is evil in your eyes to serve the LORD, then choose this day whom you will serve....but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." --Joshua 24:15-16
Old 01-04-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Here is my Imperial era 1910 dated 1895 Nagant Gas Seal revolver. Wish this one could talk...

There is quite a bit about these Czarist era revolvers here.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...agant-Revolver

Beautiful revolver!

I've heard the imperial revolovers are valuable because after the revolution military men either felt it was their patriotic duty to remove the imperial markings - or it cost many their lives...so many of these weapons had their marking ground off or stamped over...any truth to this rumor?

Last edited by White Tiger; 01-04-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Founding Member

Thanks.

It is true, if you were caught with a gun with imperial markings it was likely you would be accused of being a counter revolutionary. This is especially true up to 1922 and the end of the civil war. Under Stalin people were put in the gulags for things as minor as pitching or burning a news paper with Stalin's picture in it, so those who supervised the reserve stock piles again went in and looked over what was in storage and defaced what was missed in the first wave of Red fervor.

All things considered I am surprised by how many imperial relics, medals, coins, etc... have come out of Russia since 1990.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:15 PM

Not asking what you paid - but what is the value of your Imperial m1895 Nagant?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Founding Member

Well the last non import stamped Imperial I saw for sale at an OGCA show was over $600. There was one for sale on Gunboards last year.It was a 1913 and he priced it at $635.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...t-revolver-ect

Photos here.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...highlight=1913