Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Handgun Discussion > Nagant M1895 Revolvers

Old 03-29-2014, 08:08 PM
Trusted Comrade

Default Nagant Revolvers hard to find??

Recently I have been looking for one for my collection and It has been a journey.... Still no luck. Did they do a limited run on these? Thanks RT

-Hungarian AMD 65- Bulgarian AK-74 -1895 Nagant Revolver-
Old 03-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Trusted Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RouletteTactical View Post
Recently I have been looking for one for my collection and It has been a journey.... Still no luck. Did they do a limited run on these? Thanks RT
Not sure what you mean by "limited run", they made millions of Nagant revolvers from the 1880s to 1945 in many different countries. I'm guessing you mean limited run of import batches.

Here's a link:

http://www.libertygunsales.com/nagant%20pistol.htm

Other than buying one online, you'd just want to check your local gun stores and see if one comes in. They're not practical revolvers in the 21st Century, considering that the cartridge is not very powerful or plentiful or easy to manufacture, the revolvers use a loading gate to load, and the DA trigger pull is insane. Sufficed to say, I saw M1895s for sale everywhere before the 2012/2013 Obama/Newtown panic, but I haven't seen the market recover. I think the panic was the only way that vendors were able to sell off these revolvers.

I personally like the M1895, but I don't have room and money for something that isn't practical. They handle great and they're good sized revolvers.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:37 PM
Trusted Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk421992 View Post
Not sure what you mean by "limited run", they made millions of Nagant revolvers from the 1880s to 1945 in many different countries. I'm guessing you mean limited run of import batches.

Here's a link:

http://www.libertygunsales.com/nagant%20pistol.htm

Other than buying one online, you'd just want to check your local gun stores and see if one comes in. They're not practical revolvers in the 21st Century, considering that the cartridge is not very powerful or plentiful or easy to manufacture, the revolvers use a loading gate to load, and the DA trigger pull is insane. Sufficed to say, I saw M1895s for sale everywhere before the 2012/2013 Obama/Newtown panic, but I haven't seen the market recover. I think the panic was the only way that vendors were able to sell off these revolvers.

I personally like the M1895, but I don't have room and money for something that isn't practical. They handle great and they're good sized revolvers.
Good info here, yes I was referring to importation rather than manufacture. I should have specified . I find it practical due to my russian ( inexpensive ) firearm collecting hobby lol. I also feel the cylinder/ cartridge engineering was a very intelligent design . Quite a bit of velocity is lost between the cylinder/barrel in our domestic revolvers. Makes me wonder sometimes about the common sense of our countries manufacturing marvels.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:45 PM
Trusted Comrade

Thank you for the link. I will buy one asap.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Trusted Comrade

Quote:
Good info here, yes I was referring to importation rather than manufacture. I should have specified . I find it practical due to my russian ( inexpensive ) firearm collecting hobby lol. I also feel the cylinder/ cartridge engineering was a very intelligent design . Quite a bit of velocity is lost between the cylinder/barrel in our domestic revolvers. Makes me wonder sometimes about the common sense of our countries manufacturing marvels.
For a collection, practical is whatever you feel like and how much money you have in your pocket.

I remember Ian Hogg (a now-deceased British firearms expert) once saying that the gas seal system added 50 feet per second to the bullet's velocity. Now, granted a 7.62x38r bullet travels at about 1050, 1100 fps, so every foot counts, but it's not like the gas seal system supercharges the bullet by a few hundred fps.

Keep in mind - the Nagants had sold their design to the Swedes and the Swiss by the time the M1895 was adopted, and the Russians had some weird requirements when they adopted the M1895. For instance, they specifically wanted a revolver that was loaded and unloaded by a reloading gate. Also, the Nagant brothers owned a gun company of their own and produced the first runs of the M1895 since the Russian arsenals were expanding and getting ready to produce the M1891 Mosin.

I'd imagine that if you added a gas seal system to say, a S&W Model 29 or a Ruger Blackhawk, it could add some velocity to the bullet. But the extra expense to develop a system that would be able to handle the extra velocity would have to be dumped on the consumers, and revolvers are extremely expensive as they are now - $1000+ new. The gas seal system might not be strong enough to handle a regular battering from .357, .41, and .44 Magnum either. The smokeless Nagants were in 7.5 Swedish Nagant and 7.62x38r. E has a .44 black powder Nagant, which I'd imagine is quite low pressure.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:23 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
While the Soviet era military guns were quite reasonable (however prices are rising) the ammo is expensive. Czarist and Target models command a premium.

You can see mine in these threads.

http://www.soviet-steel.com/showthread.php?t=472

http://www.soviet-steel.com/showthread.php?t=475
Old 03-30-2014, 01:25 PM
Trusted Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopguy View Post
While the Soviet era military guns were quite reasonable (however prices are rising) the ammo is expensive. Czarist and Target models command a premium.

You can see mine in these threads.

http://www.soviet-steel.com/showthread.php?t=472

http://www.soviet-steel.com/showthread.php?t=475
I like that imperial . Very nice pistol. wow

Old 11-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Trusted Comrade

As this resurrected thread asked, it did appear that Nagant 1895 revolvers were getting harder to come by and my ComBloc "collection" til now is lacking one of them. Just received e-mail advance notification from Aim Surplus that they were soon to have them back in stock, 1920s through 1940s manufacture in "excellent" condition for $189. What say you all on the price? Know its more than what they were before but with the current market plus what appears to be limited availability is it really out of line with "reasonable"?
Old 11-19-2014, 11:25 AM
Trusted Comrade

Well, somehow just couldn't pass the chance of including a Nagant 1895 among my ComBloc pistols & rifles. Bought from Aim Surplus at $189 plus $10 shipping and hoping they live up to their advertised "excellent" condition. With their stated 20s through 40s manufacture the pistol I get may be Tula or Izhevsk and one of you guys a lot more up on Nagants than I will have to tell me the good of either. In all likelihood it will remain unfired, by me at least, but looks to be a worthy addition and something I've thought to buy for quite some time. Due to my continuing wandering about in Iraq and other tourist destinations that somehow missed the Conde' Nast top 10,000 vacation destination list it may be a while before I get home and can post photos.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:57 PM

Glad I bought one several years ago when they were $99....mines a 1944 tula....fun to shoot.
Glad you could pick one up to add to the collection.