Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Rifle Discussion > AK-47 (Avtomat Kalashnikova 47), AKM and all variants.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:16 PM
Founding Member

Default Kit-build legal help

Greetings, all. It's been a while since my last visit, but I still have my T-shirt.

I have a buddy who has a kit-build AMD-65 (of which he is the original owner), and he would like to sell it. It's built on an unmarked receiver. I tried to get some answers from the BATF's website, but this seems like a real gray area. He's not a licensed manufacturer, and he's not selling for profit in the way a business does. He just has the one rifle that he would like to part with.

1. Is it legal for him to sell it?
2. If so, does he need to etch something on the receiver and make the BATF aware?

Thanks for the help.
The AK-47: Designed to be easily field stripped, reassembled, and used by half-drunk, half-frozen, illiterate conscripts. Standard Operating Procedure upon finding one buried in Mother Russia's mud after last year's Regimental exercises: retrieve from ground, pee into action, cycle bolt, and get back to work.

If it is evil in your eyes to serve the LORD, then choose this day whom you will serve....but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." --Joshua 24:15-16
Old 04-12-2018, 08:24 AM
Soviet Steel Administrator

Hello, Dan! Good to hear from you.

I will save your question for the more knowledgeable here.