Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Handgun Discussion > Hungarian Pistols (PA-63, etc.)

Old 12-06-2013, 02:59 PM

Default Replacement Springs for SMC-918

Just got back from the range and fought the urge to throw this thing as far as I could into the woods! The rounds I could get off were very accurate, however, the pistol has some serious issues. I need to replace the hammer spring and recoil spring. I had numerous light strikes and the recoil was so severe that it actually jammed the hammer back to the point where I had to drop the mag and "fiddle" with it until I could get the hammer to budge. Recoil and Hammer springs are the ones that came with it when I bought it used and it looked like it was "ridden hard and put up wet...literally, due to the rust". I love the look of this pistol and I would like to get it to function rather than use it as a paperweight. The pistol works as it should when hand-cycled without firing.

Any recommendations for a replacement, heavy-duty recoil spring and a strong hammer spring?....Thanks...Bill G
Old 12-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Trusted Comrade

What, there's no such thing as a D spring in Hungarian pistol world?

Wolff Springs make springs for damn near any pistol, or at least a pistol somewhat close to yours. Many people instantly put a Wolff spring into their pistols. Give them a look:

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/cID1
Old 12-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

+1 on wolff. i have a set in my PA.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:21 PM

Don't know if they will work, but I ordered a set of the PPK springs from Wolff for the SMC-918. I have a set in pretty much every other pistol I own. As the PA-63 is longer in all directions, they looked like they wouldn't work so I went with the closest match.....Bill G
Old 12-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontovik193rd View Post
Don't know if they will work, but I ordered a set of the PPK springs from Wolff for the SMC-918. I have a set in pretty much every other pistol I own. As the PA-63 is longer in all directions, they looked like they wouldn't work so I went with the closest match.....Bill G
PA63 is a PPK improvement, The SMC is a PP copy. RK-59 is the same as the SMC. PPK springs should work. You can also cut the spring down coil by coil to get the desired trigger pull. I have a 9# in my PA, sometimes I get light strikes.

Your SMC should feed off your PA 7rd mags too.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:18 AM

I own a Pa63 has been my primary carry for over a year,apparently former owner changed the springs.Da first pull is strongabout 12 pds but useable in a defensive situation,sa thereaftr is about 4.Safety is a decoker,then detent meaning slightly stonger da pull until hammer is nearback.Its drop safe and safe to carry without safty on since it has that strong first rd da pull.
Recoil is not unpleasant,can shoot one after another until empty,I cannot say the same for many light 9mm compacts a db9 stings my hands -ture tadmore energy.
Yet small short barrels reduce fpe 32 acp is rated out of 3.2 and the 9x18 close in nature to the pa63,there fore 226 fpe puts out that,and 320 in a 9mm shorty hardly much more.It is what it is a com block copy of a PP,suitable for police /military work and lends itself nicely to the civilian market just as what it copied the walther pp(outwardly)
Old 07-06-2014, 09:03 AM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
I own a Pa63 has been my primary carry for over a year,apparently former owner changed the springs.Da first pull is strongabout 12 pds but useable in a defensive situation,sa thereaftr is about 4.Safety is a decoker,then detent meaning slightly stonger da pull until hammer is nearback.Its drop safe and safe to carry without safty on since it has that strong first rd da pull.
Recoil is not unpleasant,can shoot one after another until empty,I cannot say the same for many light 9mm compacts a db9 stings my hands -ture tadmore energy.
Yet small short barrels reduce fpe 32 acp is rated out of 3.2 and the 9x18 close in nature to the pa63,there fore 226 fpe puts out that,and 320 in a 9mm shorty hardly much more.It is what it is a com block copy of a PP,suitable for police /military work and lends itself nicely to the civilian market just as what it copied the walther pp(outwardly)
WHAT??
Old 07-07-2014, 06:05 AM

Also thought pa 63 not smc 918,my mistake and they do make spring kits for the pa63

Last edited by lilmule; 07-07-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Well, a 9x19 out of short barrel will do more then the 9x18. All you need is some +p 9x19 and its over. 9x18 is perfect for self defense, but that is it. It isn't suitable as a duty weapon, just like a 380 isn't. And be careful with that PA-63. Shoot only 95gr or less and absolutely NO +P ammo. Watch your round count too, the frames have a short life. My second one has reached it life span. You'll know it when you start getting erratic prints on the target.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:39 AM

I have shot buffalo bore 95 grain 267 fpe out of it,not pleasureable,but then again an 11-13 oz 9mm short barrel isnt either.Better suited for say cz 82 steel.
I normally use sellier and belliot 226 fpe and its pleasureable,and any short barrel like 2 1/2 in 9mm shooting non +P is putting out about the same as the BB around 260-265 if using 300 fpe stuff,as a short barrel reduces fps and fpe,+P of course it is more fpe ,just as with a longer barrel even with non plus P.
As for a duty round the soviets and com block used it for how many years?Even the lowly 32 acp had a secondary place in euro armies.And I often did carry a 32 acp,recently got some 205 fpe sellier and belliot,13 in penetration,and with a 3.2 or longer barrel is suitable for self defense.This at the average of a normal 380.
It boils down to shot placement,center mass quick shot versus aimed versus what one can shoot and or carry and or conceal.Naturally my 45 acp will hit harder than the aforementioned,as would any larger duty pistol would in a larger caliber..The advantage of carry in a light short 9mm is in concealment and or weight one barely notices them until you have to fire them,then they pack a wallop to what is in front and behind.
I hope the guy finds his spring or one that will work.

Last edited by lilmule; 07-16-2014 at 08:05 AM.