Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Handgun Discussion > Hungarian Pistols (PA-63, etc.)

Old 12-03-2013, 02:53 PM

Default New Member and De-cock question

I have a pristine PA-63 and just picked up a "barn rescue" SMC-918. I did a complete strip and clean. The slide was in too bad of shape so I got a new one from Numrich. The frame black finish was shot so I took it down to the bare aluminum. I did a complete re-assemble to test fit & function prior to refinishing. The only glitch is that de-cock doesn't work. It goes into safe mode, but the hammer doesn't drop. I can press down hard on the hammer release (pivots on the hammer pin and is seated in a groove on the left side of the slide until the hammer is cocked, then it sticks up some). and it will drop the hammer, but when I put the slide back on and let the barrel of the safety pivot down to depress the hammer release, it apparently doesn't exert enough downward pressure to make it work.......firing pin is blocked, but the hammer won't drop unless you do it manually. It worked correctly, once. I tried the original hammer release, the new one, the original safety, the new safety, and every combination. Any ideas/suggestions/fixes? My PA-63 works like it is supposed to.

Second question.....I am trying to decide between restoring the original frame black finish using duracoat and making it like a P-61 using a mix of duracoat titanium and silver. Any thoughts? I have a set of Denis Marchalko's wattle with red shella grips on order. I have these on my PA-63. I really, really like the SMC-918 as it fits my hand like it was made for it. I collect Warsaw Pact handguns so I have a bunch of 9x18mm. I carry a Makarov as an "off-duty) weapon (I'm a LEO) and would like to carry the SMC as it is the smallest blowback using 9x18mm....I am a consistent 100 with my Mak. Thanks for any help....I can't believe I never have found this forum and Im very glad that I did....Bill G
Old 12-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

slide is out of spec. Try shimming it.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:24 PM

I've never heard of this being done...how do you do it and how would that correct the problem?...Thanks...Bill G
Old 12-04-2013, 10:33 AM

OK, Einheit, you hit that one square on the head! I dug the original slide out of my parts bin and re-installed FP, De-cock/Safety, and other slide "innards"....de-cock works perfect every time. Guess I will clean up the slide and duracoat it as well. Vielen Danke!
Old 12-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Gotta remember that PMKs, SMCs, and PA series are all a tad different and depending on the importer....some of the same designations are actually different weapons. I do know that slides for steel frames are a touch different then slides for alloy frames.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:53 AM

The slide is marked SMC-918 and is KBI. The differences between the new and the original slide are not discernable, however, it has to be the slightest bit out of spec. It is back together and fuctions consistantly as it is supposed to. I am going to try and take it to the range and test fire (and qualify with ) prior to refinshing. I will probably go with Duracoat HK Black for the slide and mix Duracoat titanium and silver for the frame. I have grips en route from Denis. All more other Warsaw Pact pistols were his grips (except for my CZ-82). Seems like we are just down the road from each other. Is your shield from IR226?....Bill
Old 12-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

No, but I know who they are. I have family that fought in the 3rd.