Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Handgun Discussion > Tokarev TT

Old 06-28-2018, 07:40 AM

Lightbulb Zastava M70 9mm

Hello,

I recently bought a Zastava M70 pistol in 9mm and I'd like your help on 2 issues:

The gun has several electro-pencil handwritten marks (A letter and 4 digits), inside the magazine well, on the barrel and inside the slide. I'd like to know what does these marks mean. They're not related with the serial number.

My gun maks the primers of the spent casings with big gouging marks (primer drag). As far as my research went, these marks are common to the Tokarev design and are nothing to worry about, but I'm afraid this can over-stress the firing pin shortening its life.
Any thoughts on this?
How many rounds am I expecting to get from my gun?
Do your guns do primer drag?
How many rounds do your guns have?
Did someone had to change the firing pin?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
SOE
Old 07-01-2018, 07:30 PM
Trusted Comrade

Welcome to the Steel!

I don't have a M70A so I really can't help you much, but I do have it's "father," a M57 (7.6225), and it's been a solid pistol.

I have never heard of a M70A having that problem but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I have read where it has happened with a 1911 and the suspected cause was a light recoil spring. On a 1911, if the firing pin spring is weak of in some way defective the firing pin may stay in contact with the primer longer than normal, also if the main spring is weak that will also allow the slide to unlock earlier. It can also be caused by hot loads.

Hopefully one of those areas are the cause of your issues.

Cheers! M2
Old 07-02-2018, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Welcome to the Steel!

I don't have a M70A so I really can't help you much, but I do have it's "father," a M57 (7.6225), and it's been a solid pistol.

I have never heard of a M70A having that problem but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I have read where it has happened with a 1911 and the suspected cause was a light recoil spring. On a 1911, if the firing pin spring is weak of in some way defective the firing pin may stay in contact with the primer longer than normal, also if the main spring is weak that will also allow the slide to unlock earlier. It can also be caused by hot loads.

Hopefully one of those areas are the cause of your issues.

Cheers! M2
Hello majormadmax,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm using reloaded ammo but they're far from hot loads. I'm sending a 124gr bullet at 1034 fps, generating a 128 power factor.

The 2 cases on the left were fired on my CZ Shadow 2, while the 2 on the right were fired on the Zastava M70. Same load on all 4 rounds.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rtiBYN1PTvpA4emb9

It's probably a weak recoil spring. In Portugal it's almost impossible to get a different recoil spring for the gun, so I'll buy a backup firing pin.

Kind regards.

Last edited by soesoe; 07-02-2018 at 04:59 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:51 PM
Trusted Comrade

I'm far from an expert, but I would try a new recoil spring before anything else.

Oh, and here is your pic (click free! )

Old 07-04-2018, 01:00 PM
Trusted Comrade

Oddly, Century uses the same manual for the M70A as it does the M57...

https://www.centuryarms.com/media/wy...stolManual.pdf

And if you read post #5 in this thread, he claims "I took the barrel and spring assembly from my M70A and put it in my TTC and fired 9mm luger just fine" so there is a chance they are interchangeable...

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...tible-with-M57

But I have also read that they have slightly different head size on the guide rod...

You'll have to decide if it's worth a try!

Cheers! M2
Old 07-10-2018, 02:04 PM

Wolff Springs stocks recoil springs and spring sets at a quite reasonable price.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Oddly, Century uses the same manual for the M70A as it does the M57...

https://www.centuryarms.com/media/wy...stolManual.pdf

And if you read post #5 in this thread, he claims "I took the barrel and spring assembly from my M70A and put it in my TTC and fired 9mm luger just fine" so there is a chance they are interchangeable...

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...tible-with-M57

But I have also read that they have slightly different head size on the guide rod...

You'll have to decide if it's worth a try!

Cheers! M2

I'd love to try what you've suggested but I live in Portugal. Here is very difficult to find parts for guns.

I'll post a reply to this thread if I manage to try out another spring.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeoBill View Post
Wolff Springs stocks recoil springs and spring sets at a quite reasonable price.

I'm considering your suggestion. The price isn't actually bad, if the shipping to Portugal is also reasonable, I'll try it.

Tags
firing , m70 , mark , pin , zastava