Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Handgun Discussion > Tokarev TT

Old 10-28-2016, 07:20 PM

Default M57, weird style import safety

Hello guys, new to the forum. I picked up a new to me M57 from classicfirearms. I'm not picky but the safety feels completely terrible. I accidentally butchered the handgaurd while trying to clearance the safety, I'll have a new set coming... The left grip was actually blocking the safety lever from moving completely into the fire position.

BUT after consulting the internet I have not seen a Tok that has a safety like mine; most of the ones that are similar have a notch in the slide to either grab or allow the safety lever to travel. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161028_200643.jpg (105.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-28-2016, 07:44 PM

I was tempted to get one, but I was concerned about magazine availability. Given the current political situation, I'd want at least ten magazines for any pistol...a lifetime supply.

The magazine is longer in this model than all the other TT-33 pistol variants.

I have heard that VZ-52 pistol magazines can be adapted for use in M-57 pistols. Has anyone tried this?
Old 10-29-2016, 11:02 AM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Whoever imported the pistol did a crappy job of adding the safety. Only newer production M57s come from the factory with a slide notch and safety from the factory. That pistol is a true TT33 design and the safety is added for import compliance. Get a new lever or return the pistol.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:52 PM
Trusted Comrade

Whoa, never seen one like that before.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:56 PM

I should note that the grip covered the entire bottom of the safety except for the "tang" that your thumb can grip, problem was it wouldn't move into the fire position. If that makes sense...

It was imported by PW Arms.

Last edited by atorchedmustang; 10-30-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:31 AM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atorchedmustang View Post
I should note that the grip covered the entire bottom of the safety except for the "tang" that your thumb can grip, problem was it wouldn't move into the fire position. If that makes sense...

It was imported by PW Arms.
That is what it should do. The grip is relieved for it. The M70As were the first ones to get a safety, and they were slide mounted. Some TT-33s and some M57s got a safety like some Polish and Romanian TTs. A simple lever that liked to flop around. Half cock is the safety. If it were mine, and this is just me, i would remove the safety and plug the holes caps. If you really want a safety, do as I posted above since, technically, it doesn't work and the firearm is defective. Unless stated as a 'gunsmith special' or sold as 'needing repair', the gun is broken.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:53 AM

Red face REALLY SAFE, Cannot fire. 🙄

A truly safe safety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atorchedmustang View Post
Hello guys, new to the forum. I picked up a new to me M57 from classicfirearms. I'm not picky but the safety feels completely terrible. I accidentally butchered the handgaurd while trying to clearance the safety, I'll have a new set coming... The left grip was actually blocking the safety lever from moving completely into the fire position.

BUT after consulting the internet I have not seen a Tok that has a safety like mine; most of the ones that are similar have a notch in the slide to either grab or allow the safety lever to travel. Thoughts?
Old 07-16-2017, 05:27 PM

Smile Romanian TTC safety replacement.

I made the mistake of removing the safety for maintenance, and anyone who has done that before knows the safety detent pin, immediately shoots out. It is so small that it has been impossible to find.
I have that switch style safety that everyone hates, but I actually like it.
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a replacement detent pin, or safety set.
Or if any of you would be willing to part with your safety detent pin, then I would be more than willing to talk about it.
Either way, if you could email me with any info, I would appreciate it. I'm posting this in a few Tok forums and hoping for a solution.
Thanks

[email protected]