Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Other Firearms and Related Discussion > Long Guns

Old 07-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Trusted Comrade

Wait... x54r VePR mags come in 20rd capacity? Thats news to me. I have 5's and 10's but haven't seen 20's.

Yea my VePR and Mosin have the best AP of all my rifles but I would like something that could penetrate an APC or take down a chopper. Its not something I would lug around. I would mount it on top of my escape vehicle with 20 rounds or so for taking out hard targets on my way out.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Trusted Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroenen85 View Post
Wait... x54r VePR mags come in 20rd capacity? Thats news to me. I have 5's and 10's but haven't seen 20's.

Yea my VePR and Mosin have the best AP of all my rifles but I would like something that could penetrate an APC or take down a chopper. Its not something I would lug around. I would mount it on top of my escape vehicle with 20 rounds or so for taking out hard targets on my way out.
Atlantic Firearms sells the 20 round Vepr mags. Check them out or Google "20 round 7.62x54r Vepr mags."

If you seriously want a .50, go for it, but do a shitload of research. I'd suggest finding a forum for .50 cal owners and talking to them (don't say why you want it). These rifles cost on average $5000 to $10,000 or more. E has or had a Soviet PTRD and he said it was fun but about as practical as a punt gun.

I'd seriously suggest going with a .338 or .375 first before buying a .50 though. Both of those bore diameters have seen military use or are used to hunt elephants. Old surplus .30-06 and 7.62x54r can crack engine blocks, but .338 Lapua is a great anti-material round and would a lot cheaper and more practical.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Trusted Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk421992 View Post
I'd hold up a bit on a SCAR and a .50, especially if you don't want to spend $750 on a Vepr shotgun. Don't you already have a x54r Vepr that would do the same thing as a SCAR? 20 round mag full of x54r is cheaper than 20 of .308

.50 shooting is not cheap. I believe it's about $4 or $5 a shot. If you want to get something that has true AP capability, I'd start with a .338 Lapua or maybe a Safari cartridge and work up to a .50. The rifles are very expensive and aren't easy to move. Honestly the .50 is a rich man's toy that he shows off to his friends, it's not something you can seriously train with and get to know. People trot them out on gun club field days or big events to make a buck off of everyone who wants to give it a try, but that's about it. Even .338 and Safari cartridges like .375 Ruger, .375 H&H, .416 Rigby, and .470 Nitro are going to set you back a couple dollars or more a shot. Also, at my range, when they bring the .50 out for Field Day, you have to clear the range, ensure everyone has hearing protection, make sure no one else is shooting, and then take single shots. It's freakin' loud since they all have muzzle brakes, I'm sure you've heard a .50 go off in the military.

I would hold off on buying anything you've mentioned. Buy some different barrels for the Mossberg if you don't have them, stock up on 20 round Vepr mags, and maybe consider getting a Savage 110 in a magnum or Safari caliber. Or you can build one yourself if you get a barrel nut wrench and a barrel.
Except 50 BMG ammo isn't always more expensive it usually cheaper since there is surplus, it does get more expensive once you start trying to reload it with quality components for long range accuracy. Plus 50bmg is much more available than any of those rounds your mentioned which would be much better for kros end of the world stuff.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk421992 View Post
Atlantic Firearms sells the 20 round Vepr mags. Check them out or Google "20 round 7.62x54r Vepr mags."

If you seriously want a .50, go for it, but do a shitload of research. I'd suggest finding a forum for .50 cal owners and talking to them (don't say why you want it). These rifles cost on average $5000 to $10,000 or more. E has or had a Soviet PTRD and he said it was fun but about as practical as a punt gun.

I'd seriously suggest going with a .338 or .375 first before buying a .50 though. Both of those bore diameters have seen military use or are used to hunt elephants. Old surplus .30-06 and 7.62x54r can crack engine blocks, but .338 Lapua is a great anti-material round and would a lot cheaper and more practical.
I still have it. The 50bmg haves NOTHING on it though. Twice the power, twice the range. Remember, it was designed for anti-tank, not material/personnel like the 12.7 and 50BMG. 14.5x114 has an effective range of 10K meters. Expensive to shoot and can hurt.

338 Lapua mag and the 375 are long range anti personnel weapons, they don't do real well in an HTI situation, especially at ranges beyond 600m. They give better long range accuracy then all 50bmg save some serious hand loads. They strut their stuff at 2150+yds. They never have and never will have the sheer power of the 50bmg. 12,000fpe leaves nothing to argue with. Just like the Sov 12.7, the 50bmgs are now multi role projectiles. the 12.7x108 has a slight range and power edge. Everything else is still for light armour and anti personnel use. The 338 was about the first true 'beyond a mile' loading for an LPR. As a mater of fact, the savage 110 is a really good set up for starting an LPR.

Anyway, Kro, you can set up a bolt action 50bmg at 16 pounds. You will tire easily from shooting it, but it is an option for a 'cheap' alternative. And your big expense will be the brass and barrels. They erode the throats pretty fast. Twice the powder, shorter barrel life, shorter brass life....lots of fun though. You can get it down to about $2.50-$4.00 a shot on a $3k weapon. 338 and 375 usually run about $1.50-$3.00 a shot on a $2000+ weapon. Its not out of reach by any means.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Trusted Comrade

Send a message via Yahoo to Wulfren

I'm not trying to derail this on purpose but you've hit on 2 of my "need/want" categories as well.

I have a love/weakness for the Scar H, I just do. I know there are better rifles for cheaper, thus me saying. Are you saying you want a Scar specifically or just that you want a dead reliable 308 piston gun?

Secondly the .50 cal is the one thing I see as a serious weakness in my setup. I know beyond a shadow is of a doubt that certain shotgun slugs are great at stopping soft vehicles. However the 50 (with the proper ammo) can challenge harder targets.

My thought tho, is are any of the .50 cal AR uppers safe & usable? I've seen Vulcan and others fail, but it seems there is some good things said about Safety Harbor.

If you were to do an economy 50 build, how would you do it?

Getting back to the Catamount tho, your talking about what 300 price difference? If your just wanting a magazine fed 12ga what about the Turkish 1919?

There is a new company making a good 12ga in AR form (can't think of the name of it atm but its one of the sponsors of Heli Hunter's show). I'm pretty certain they're not cheap, but look like they work well. But I digress

So yea, economy 50 whats your thoughts?

Wulf

Bellum para, pro pace ora.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:56 PM
Trusted Comrade

As far as the scar I just love them beautiful rifles. I don't need one but it would be so much fun. Just like the VePR 12, I don't need one but it would be so much fun on the range and cheap to shoot if you get some cheap game loads for target practice.

But anyway yea a .50BMG is the big area I see my load out lacking. even a bolt action .50 BMG would be great. And like I said I would not be lugging the thing around. It would be used from the vehicle to take out hard targets from my house to my SHTF property and there it will be used against any vehicles or chopper flying over head. No way I would want to carry that thing on my back. I have shot the Barrett M107 while in the army many times and the .50 BMG M2 Browning Machine Gun. The Barrett doesn't even kick much at all like I thought it would. One shot in the rotor with that thing will take down a chopper or you can take out the pilot. Even an engine or fuel shot will make him have to make a crash landing. I would rather have one of those .20mm rifles I've been seeing on YouTube but I can guess those cost twice what a Barrett does. I learned in Iraq how to make an IED that would punch right through tank armor. We used to find them on the side of the road and disarm them. Well EOD disarmed them I didn't but I got the jist of how they were made. This picture bellow is of the 20mm im talking about.
http://www.tactical-life.com/wp-cont...trous-20mm.jpg
Old 07-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Trusted Comrade

I actually was going to suggest a Lahti or a PTRD. I mean if you really want something to take out vehicles...

If you are going to go with a .50, I'd get a magazine fed one. Maybe a Steyr.

http://www.steyrarms.com/products/sp...teyr-hs-50-m1/

But what I was getting at wasn't the weight of the rifles, I was talking about actually shooting the rifle. Do you shoot at a public range or a private gun club or on private property? If you shoot at a private club I'd check the club rules about shooting a .50 on property and how tough the backstop is. Talk to the Board of Directors. Some ranges will ban anything that they don't "like" and a .50 will destroy steel plate targets and probably backstops that aren't up to snuff. I can't imagine a public range allowing a .50. Private property? You're 100% liable if something happens.

Last edited by tk421992; 07-09-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Trusted Comrade

Isn't the price of 14.5x114 ammo absurdly expensive even compared to 50bmg? Where do you even get it anyway?

Last edited by ShowDownZero; 07-10-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowDownZero View Post
Isn't the price of 14.5x114 ammo absurdly expensive even compared to 50bmg? Where do you even get it anyway?
I cast my own 900gr bullets. Brass costs me about $20 each. I load it light, 2800fps. Yes, it can get expensive really fast. I have seen for $90 a shot. I found a supplier for surplus ammo from the 80s, but its 500k rounds for $550k! This is the 1025gr heavy....3300 fps and 24,400 ft/lbs...

I have only pulled the trigger 20 times. My opa used to shoot it a lot. Cost too much for me anymore. It just sits locked away in 3 pieces till I can take it out again. The barrel is about half life.

I usually buy inert ammo. 10rds with a usable case and projectile typically run 20 for $200.

SSK has a 50bmg with a 14.5mm bullet. Been reading about it a bit, but still too pricey for me.

Last edited by einheit 13; 07-10-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Trusted Comrade

K if you're still wanting a .50, I'd try to get involved with these guys or at least check out their website. I know you're not into sport shooting, but I can't fathom buying such a gun and not getting it out to shoot.

http://www.fcsa.org/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...bore-shooting/