Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Other Firearms and Related Discussion > Long Guns

Old 02-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Founding Member

Default 80s vintage variations on the Mini-14GB

Here are three factory variations of the Sturm Ruger Mini-14GB from the 1980s. These rifles came from the factory with a flash hider and bayonet lug set up for the US M-16 rifle bayonet, hence the name GB, for Government Bayonet. They were only available to the Federal, State or local Governments agencies. Some have come on the private market as police agencies traded them in for other rifles.

It takes a careful look to note the rifle on top has a slightly longer stock with less curvature to the butt and the later polymer with aluminum lined heat shield.

The middle gun is the older type, with the shorter, more curved stock and full wooden upper handguard.

The bottom gun has an even shorter barrel, special order variant in stainless steel with factory folding stock.

A full auto model the AC556 was also available.

Various after market companies tried to imitate this set up, so if you are buying a GB know what you are looking at.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Ruger should come out with a commemorative A-Team model from the 80s TV show....

"There are no restrictions on the First Amendment when trying to restrict the Second Amendment" Tim Inwood, Buckeye Firearms Association.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Founding Member

That show probably helped to sell a lot of Mini-14s.

The ones used on the show had aftermarket flashiders...

Old 02-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Founding Member

Do ya think that the new A-Team movie this spring will also feature the Mini-14??
Old 02-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Founding Member

When I pulled up the images in the google search for the show they had a promo shot, indeed they have a Mini. Note the guy on the right who looks like the late George Pepard.(Sorry I don't know the character name, I did not watch the show...)

Old 02-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

That pic looks to from a new cast...maybe they're bringing it back...I pitty the fool.

"There are no restrictions on the First Amendment when trying to restrict the Second Amendment" Tim Inwood, Buckeye Firearms Association.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Founding Member

Apparently they are making a movie. Hollyweird's creative juices are pretty dry so rehashing the old stuff is popular. I see they have remade the old wolfman movie. Clearly this one is based on the sixties vintage Oliver Reed one...
Old 02-23-2010, 01:18 AM
Founding Member

Default A-Team... it's true...

check out http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=62189

looks fun, I'll see it.

Ivan

Party Like It's 1773!

"Do not draw me without Reason,
Do not sheath me without Honor".
Old 05-13-2016, 09:33 AM
Founding Member

As you guys know Soldier of Fortune magazine covered the war in Rhodesia. Some time back somewhere on these pages we discussed Robert Brown and his guys going over to cover things there and the fact they brought Ruger Mini 14 rifles to use during their time in Rhodesia. I recently chatted with Bob and asked him directly how the Stainless Ruger Mini performed. The response was amusing, I fear Ruger may not advertise with SOF again... In all fairness this was when they first came out, so hopefully the got the mix of steel right to make it work better.

Bob said,
"Frankly, not worth a shit! They were stainless steel...and galled."

Another shot of the Mini-14 in use in Rhodesia, this a blued carbon steel one. Al J. Venter used a Ruger Mini-14 while covering the bush war in Rhodesia 1978. Photo from a reprint of the 1979 G&A article Guns of the Mercenaries. I had first read this in 1979 and still have the original copy someplace, but this came from the recent special edition AK-47 magazine.