Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Handgun Discussion > Polish Pistols (P-64, Vanad, etc.)

Old 03-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Founding Member

Default Polish Vanad P-83

As mentioned in another thread I picked up a Polish Vanad P-83 that was made in 1987, yesterday. Sadly PW Arms decided to use a billboard stamp on the slide, pity they did not go the same route as they did on Walther P1 pistols they brought in. Those were stamped on the front strap of the frame and not so objectionable. I blackened it so as to make it less annoying.

The first thing that strikes you about this pistol is the sheet metal construction. Clearly economy was in mind in replacing the P-64. The sights on this pistol is a bit small, the top strap checkered to cut down on glare. The safety operates the same as a Makarov. The take down is different, you pull down on ears much like on a HK VP70Z. Not exactly as smooth or easy, I actually ripped out a chunk of a finger nail in the process of taking the pistol down. You then pull the slide back and lift like a Walther PP or Makarov for cleaning.

The gun uses a heel release like the Makarov. The magazines are very similar to a Makarov in size and shape but sadly are different enough that they do not interchange.

For instance the latch on the back sits much lower on a P83. Here you see a Markarov magazine, loaded, and the Polish P83 magazine. You can see the catches on the back and the differences in shape. Sadly J&G will not sell spare magazines without a pistol purchase, and the chap I got mine from did not order any spare magazines.

Sadly with no spare magazines or parts I won't be planning on shooting this one.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Soviet Steel Administrator

Thanks for the review.

The minute that I saw your picture of the magazines, I immediately thought "Makarov". I got excited for a minute there. But, you say they are not interchangeable. Bummer.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Founding Member

Your welcome.

It's very clear the Poles could have made this work with Makarov magazines, and perhaps as a F.Y. to the Russians they did not. Look at where the hump is in the bottom of the magazine, that won't clear the cut in Mak or vice versa. There were some Makarov magazines without the hump. I suppose if you took those and buzzed off the tab on the mag follower and could cut and rework a latch on the bottom, that could work, but be a lot of labor to get there. As I said there are so few and no spare parts or mags for now... so I just view this as a collectable I won't carry and shoot.

If you guys are tempted to get one I would say do it now. From what I was reading here, it looks like the lastest batch was only 200 or so pistols. Those won't last too long.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...3-9x18-Makarov
Old 04-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopguy View Post
If you guys are tempted to get one I would say do it now. From what I was reading here, it looks like the lastest batch was only 200 or so pistols. Those won't last too long.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...3-9x18-Makarov

I see AimSurplus just got some in at $270 a piece with 2 magazines

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1P83

From your review, I think the P-64 might be a better buy as a shooter?
"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire thirty shots or only twenty-nine?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a 7.62mm AK-47, the most prolific assault rifle in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, PUNK?"

Last edited by FloridaPhil; 04-10-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Founding Member

The 64 is smaller and easy to carry, it is not easier to shoot than a Makarov as there is less to hang on to. I hate that DA trigger pull on the 64 and the SA is too light for a service pistol. The first 64 I had I would accidentally double tap them due to the SA light trigger. My second one was not as bad.

Actually I had not fired the 83 yet. The reason for that was relative scarcity and concern about parts. I well remember a friend who had a CZ 52 in the 80s (when they were super scarce) who paid big bucks for it (around $900 as I recall) and then promptly broke the firing pin when he dry fired it. OUCH. It was not until years later when they imported them in mass that he ever got it fixed. If I see a bunch of 83s come in, I will use it. Anything I use much I always keep spare firing pins, extractors etc... It's one of those things I was trained to do and never broke the practice of... I have a 50 BMG ammo can full of 1911 parts including spare Colt slides.

I will likely be calling AIM on Monday.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Founding Member

Mmm... I like the idea of pistol, and can understand the F.Y. to the russians via magazine design. Nice find and thanks for the share GOP. Love the fact that it was made in '87 too, that was a great year .
Old 04-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Soviet Steel Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishVector View Post
Mmm... I like the idea of pistol, and can understand the F.Y. to the russians via magazine design. Nice find and thanks for the share GOP. Love the fact that it was made in '87 too, that was a great year .
1987 was a great year! Did you graduate in 1987 also?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonov View Post
1987 was a great year! Did you graduate in 1987 also?
Simonov, I was born in '87.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Founding Member

I got married in '87...
Old 04-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Founding Member

I guess '87 was a great year all around. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it... I don't remember anything about it, but I hear stories...