Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Handgun Discussion > Polish Pistols (P-64, Vanad, etc.)

Old 09-18-2009, 12:00 PM
kilogulf59

Default A New Addition...

I recently had a new addition to the family. Purely unintentional but it was an offer I couldn't pass up.

It's a brand new Radom P-64 9x18mm pistol.

The pistol was unfired, came with two magazines and a flap holster. The gentleman I purchased it from is our own Simonov or LUVMYSIGP225 aka Chris of POCKETFIREPOWER.COM who is also a friend of 7677's and a member at ICCF. I highly recommend Simonov and would never hesitate to purchase from him in the future, a gem to do business with.

I always wanted a PPK type pistol but I am not paying those extravagant prices. Well Chris turned me onto the P-64 pistols which I discovered are extremely well made, almost PPK clones. These are real sleepers on the market and I'll bet they go for double prices by next year.

The only detractor is a somewhat heavy DA trigger pull. This I am told can be easily rectified by installing a Wolff spring.

One thing I like is that the P-64 fires a fairly powerful round yet is a somewhat small unit. Some may find the recoil a bit tough, I found it comforting...

Here's the skinny on the Radom P-64's from the Unofficial P-64 Resource

Background
Welcome to the one stop web site dedicated and devoted only to the Polish P-64 pistol. This site was originally created on October 24, 2005, and has since seen a massive explosion of popularity. With the price of this pistol averaging somwhere in the $150 US range, it's accuracy rivaling high end tuned pistols, and it's size and weight making it perfect for concealed carry, it's no wonder this little gem is so popular. Makarov and P-64

First and foremost, let's get the most discussed topic out of the way. THIS GUN IS NOT A MAKAROV. It does, however, use the powerful 9x18mm, or, 9mm Makarov cartridge. The left side of the frame of a P-64 displays "Cal. Makarov" - a commonly used quote to sell the Polish guns as true Makarov's. Truth is, they're nothing like each other.

The P-64, if anything, is more of a clone of the Walther PPK. (For a detailed side-by-side comparison, click here.) Both have their strong points and weak points . Some folks say the 'real' Maks are better than the P-64's. Others disagree. Whatever side your on, the only thing that is a fact is that they are not the same weapon.

History
The P-64 was designed during the late fifties by a team of Polish army officers. The team developed two different prototypes called CZAK (acronym of designer's last names): model M (milicyjny - police model) and model W (wojskowy - military model). The two models differed in magazine capacity and external dimensions (the military model had longer barrel and 7-round magazine). In 1961 CZAK model M was chosen to replace the Russian Tokarev TT-33 pistol as the standard service pistol of the Polish military, police and government security agencies. Production started in the middle sixties under the official designation "9 mm pistolet wz. 1964" (9 mm pistol model 1964). 1972 saw introduction of minor changes to the trigger mechanism and shape of the hammer (larger hammer spur).

Users of the P-64 had pointed out a series of shortcomings: unpleasant recoil due to small and uncomfortable grip, small magazine capacity, poor sights, short sight radius and heavy double-action trigger. Work to correct these problems started in early seventies and resulted in a series of prototypes (P-70, P-75, P-78A, P-78B). Eventually P-83 (production version of P-78B) was adopted as replacement for the P-64.

Description & Function
exploded view of P64The P-64 is a blowback operated, double-action pistol. Although designed from scratch by Polish engineers, the P-64 is very similar to German Walther PPK and is sometimes described erroneous in western literature as it's clone.

Frame and slide are made of steel and the finish is blue. The barrel is fixed to the frame with the recoil spring wound around it. The controls consist of a slide mounted safety lever and a magazine catch. The safety lever has two positions: up for "fire" and down for "safe" and decocks the hammer (if cocked) when put on safe. The safety mechanism allows the slide to be operated with safety on. Unlike the Walther, the P-64's magazine release is located at the bottom of the frame, slowing down the reloading process. The single-column magazines hold 6 rounds. The slides locks back when the last round from the magazine is fired but there is no external slide release. Double-action trigger pull is heavy: 110-120 N (25-27 lb). The sights are fixed and set at a rather exaggerated distance of 50 meters. A loaded-chamber indicator is located in the rear part of the slide, just above the hammer. Grips are checkered black plastic.

The gun is field stripped by swinging down the hinged trigger guard. The slide is then pulled rearward, upward and removed from the frame. Holster with magazine pouch P-64 is a rather compact sidearm; measuring 160 mm long and 117 mm high and weighting 678 g when loaded, it is just slightly larger and heavier than the PPK but it fires a more potent round. P-64 is one of the most compact 9 mm Makarov pistols made. It's carried in a leather flap holster equipped with a side pocked for a spare magazine and a cleaning rod. A leather shoulder holster was also issued. Fully loaded with a loaded spare magazine, standard service holster and cleaning gear it weights just 930 g (32.8 oz).

I cannot wait for Chris at US Gunleather to make up my pancake holster and mag carrier/pouch....
Old 09-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Founding Member

Do you think you could pocket carry something like this? What is the approximate market price for a pistol like this?

~Norinco
Old 09-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Soviet Steel Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norinco982lover View Post
Do you think you could pocket carry something like this? What is the approximate market price for a pistol like this?

~Norinco
Yes, the P-64's can be carried in the pocket. A little tight in normal pants, but just fine in Khakis. I was buying these for around $150.00 all day long, earlier this year. I am already noticing the prices shooting up to around $200 and higher. Very cool little guns. I sold one of my spares to Kilogulf. Here is the one that I carry.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:54 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Leighton

If you could get that DA trigger pull down to about 8lbs, that would really be a sweet gun!
Old 10-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Soviet Steel Moderator

I'm going to have to order one of these with my C&R.

"There are no restrictions on the First Amendment when trying to restrict the Second Amendment" Tim Inwood, Buckeye Firearms Association.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Founding Member

Order me one too!
Old 11-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Founding Member

I arranged a group buy for a bunch of collectors on another forum. I ended up picking 2 up from the GB. I still haven't had a chance to get to the range but I thought you'd all enjoy this Family GB Pic. I can't tell you the incredible chub it was to pull these out of the box. (J&G Sale $149/ea)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Polish P64 Group Buy 001X.jpg (83.9 KB, 17 views)

Comrade from the People's Republik of Marylandistan
Old 11-27-2009, 07:56 AM
kilogulf59

Kinda makes ya want to get nekkid and roll around in them...
Old 02-23-2010, 02:55 PM

Default First p64 caution !!!

I picked one on these little guys up the other day and a couple boxes of WIN Metric 9x18. Double Action was as expected very long and heavy, However the following single action trigger pull was very light, 3-5 LBS. Pistol shot very well and function was perfect, just be care of those first few single action rounds.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:04 PM
kilogulf59

I just installed a 20# recoil spring in mine. Every now and them I'd get a failure to fully feed the round into the chamber...we'll see.