Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > The Accessory Outfitter > Ammunition and Magazines

Old 04-23-2017, 08:51 PM

Default whatever happened to Wolf ammunition?

Whatever happened to Wolf ammunition? Is it still in business? For a while, the similar color scheme of Tulammo confused me when it first came out a few years ago. Is there a connection between the two? what is the difference? Is one better, and if so, why?
Old 04-24-2017, 05:09 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Wolf is just a name, like Winchester. Wolf is associated with SSI. They bring ammo to the market from a bunch of countries. I have some Serb and Ukrainian WPA ammo in 5,45 and 7,62x39. I have Wolf Gold that is from Serbia and Taiwan in 5.56. Privi Partisan (PPU) is Serbian. It's out there, you just need to practice your Google-Fu. Lucky Gunner, Aim Surplus, Centerfire Systems, Sportsman Guide, Cheaper then Dirt and so on usually carry it......Or call them...
(888) 757-WOLF (9653)
P.O. Box 757
Placentia, California 92871

TUL Cartridge Works made ammo for ever. They still make some varieties, but their main product is components. Standard grade issue ammo. Dirtier and more variances in speed then Wolf, usually.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:09 AM

never noticed wolf being gone.always able to get it.love their brass 5.56.mtdway carries it as well as SGA ammo.the ukrainian "white box" 7.62x39 in a deep olive colored casing is my all time favorite ak ammo.love that ammonia like powder smell,reminds me of watching the cartridges coming down the assembly line as the y make their way to some little hell hole in africa from the movie"Lord of War"
Old 07-27-2017, 11:10 PM

I haven't bought any ammo in a couple of months but I have been watching the two calibers (7.62x39mm & .22 rim fire) that interest me the most drop in price. I may start buying again before summer is out and hunting season cranks up. I feel certain there might be somewhat of a rise in prices again.

Prior to the election last fall we were stocking up on 7.62x39mm. We had reached about 6K rounds so, not feeling as threatened, I slacked off buying. I have mostly Wolf (4K rounds) and Red Army Standard. I like the RAS, it groups as well as the Wolf (4-6 inches @ 100 yards) depending on whether I use my Tula SKS or my AR15. Only thing about the RAS is, my sights were set using the Wolf. RAS shoots about 6 inches high/right of my POA, or at about 2 o'clock using my SKS. Haven't tried it in the AR yet.

We have a half a case of Barnaul Mil-Spec, I only bought that much just to try it but I really like that stuff so I'll probably get some more of it. It burns clean, functions flawlessly and I get marginally tighter groups than Wolf! The Barnaul shoots perfectly with the sight settings for Wolf ammo! I also like the fact it's sealed at the primer and bullet/case mouth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.62X39mm ammo stash - Copy.jpg (89.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Barnaul Mil-Spec.jpg (77.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Barnaul with BNX stripper clips.jpg (89.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg My SKS45 - Copy-horz.jpg (60.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Dannyboy53; 07-27-2017 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Adding photos
Old 07-28-2017, 08:41 AM

Dannyboy, what was your source for the BXN stripper clips?

Also, don't you think your AR would have benefited from a mid-length upper? That barrel sticks out like Pinochio's nose while he is explaining to his wife how he got glitter on his face.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:12 AM

The best I can narrow it down for you is the BXN stripper clips came off ebay. My wife ordered them but doesn't remember who. If it helps, they came from some guy in Yugoslavia or that general area...sorry I couldn't help more.
Never gave the upper a 2nd thought..it all works great so I'll stick with it!
Old 07-28-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy53 View Post
The best I can narrow it down for you is the BXN stripper clips came off ebay. My wife ordered them but doesn't remember who. If it helps, they came from some guy in Yugoslavia or that general area...sorry I couldn't help more.
Never gave the upper a 2nd thought..it all works great so I'll stick with it!
Sounds like the same guy I ordered my BXN clips from. The first time, a few years ago, they were "in the white" and would up dunking them in cold blue. The second time, a few months ago, they were MUCH more expensive, but came pre-blued.

Was magazine reliability a problem with your AR in 7.62x39?
Old 07-28-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtf-b View Post
Sounds like the same guy I ordered my BXN clips from. The first time, a few years ago, they were "in the white" and would up dunking them in cold blue. The second time, a few months ago, they were MUCH more expensive, but came pre-blued.

Was magazine reliability a problem with your AR in 7.62x39?
The wife ordered 50 of the BXN clips and they have worked great. We have never had a problem with them from day 1. They are expensive but they work far better than any others I have tried. I also have about 25 clips marked with a "31" inside a circle, to be blunt they weren't worth a tinker's damn. I had to modify them to get rounds to slide through them freely.

I have a friend in Nebraska that has the same setup, a PSA carbine in this caliber. He recommended ASC mags and I bought a couple of their 20 round mags to try them out. They worked flawlessly so I ordered ten more, I have never regretted it. We have never had any problems with these carbines, my wife has one also!

We ordered ours here, shipping was $5!!

http://gunmagwarehouse.com/asc-7-62x...-magazine.html

Additional: I remember my friend in Nebraska stating he used C-Product magazines as well and had zero deficiencies.

Last edited by Dannyboy53; 07-28-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy53 View Post
I also have about 25 clips marked with a "31" inside a circle, to be blunt they weren't worth a tinker's damn. I had to modify them to get rounds to slide through them freely.

I have a friend in Nebraska that has the same setup, a PSA carbine in this caliber. He recommended ASC mags and I bought a couple of their 20 round mags to try them out. They worked flawlessly so I ordered ten more, I have never regretted it. We have never had any problems with these carbines, my wife has one also!

http://gunmagwarehouse.com/asc-7-62x...-magazine.html

Additional: I remember my friend in Nebraska stating he used C-Product magazines as well and had zero deficiencies.
Some of the (31) clips are good, some, as you said aren't worth a tinker's damn. The original, parkerized or dull blued ones with the small font (31) are real GI surplus. The new ones, shiny blued, oily packed in a plastic bag, are the problematic.

I got both C-products and ASC magazines for my 5.45x39 AR. Haven't used them yet, but I hope they work.