Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > The Accessory Outfitter > Ammunition and Magazines

Old 05-29-2017, 02:13 PM
Trusted Comrade

Default PPU or Wolf?

So I just bought a SCAR 17 and I want to stock up on some ammo. I already have some PPU M80 FMJ which is fine for plinking but I want to pick up some affordable rounds for stopping 2 and 4 legged animals.

The most readily available ammo in bulk is Wolf WPA 140gr Soft Point ammo And PPU 150 gr Soft Point. Currently the ammo I am sighted in for is the PPU M80 145 gr. So which ever hunting ammo I choose I want it to be as close to my zero as possible. So I am thinking maybe the PPU is the best choice. However it is twice the price. I will include links at the bottom of this.

So I tried to find some comparisons between the two rounds and the only thing I found was people saying that they are exactly the same... as in made by the same people and identical in every way. that you are just paying more for the PPU name. I dont believe this though.

There is a huge price difference between the two brands and I just need some guidance. I dont want to waist money if I dont have to. here are links to both ammo types.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/308-wi...rvi-partizan-p

http://www.sgammo.com/product/308-wi...ting-ammo-wolf

Last edited by kroenen85; 05-29-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:08 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

They might perform about the same, but steel cases Barnaul vs brass cases Serb isn't the same ammo. Buy a box of each and see which one you or the gun likes better.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:09 PM
Trusted Comrade

The PPU is probably brass cased, but is the Wolf? I have always had great service out of the Wolf steel cased ammo, no matter what the caliber. I have shot PPU in 9mm Luger and .223 Remy, and it did great in 9mm, but mediocre accuracy in the .223.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:46 PM
Trusted Comrade

Wolf WPA is the poly coated steel cased stuff I think.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:29 AM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroenen85 View Post
Wolf WPA is the poly coated steel cased stuff I think.
The wolf is coated steel, made by Barnaul. Remember, Wolf is just a name, not the manufacturer