Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Other Firearms and Related Discussion > Handguns

Old 09-06-2011, 06:14 PM

Default Helwan

I didn't see an existing thread for this, so here goes. Saturday was the big gun show up by the Kansas City International airport. Of course, I had on my Soviet-Steel shirt. I stumbled across a 9mm Helwan. It doesn't have the arabic writing on the slide, but it is an Interarms import. I shot 50 rounds of Remington 115 gr. fmj through it on Sunday, and again on Monday. So far, not one hiccup. Every shot fired, every shell ejected. I have read a lot of mixed reviews on these. So far, so good. Will post pictures in a bit.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Founding Member

Yeah, the early guns, brought in by Interarms, Steyr, World of Lugers, especially those with the Arabic writing are considered the best. I posted mine here some time back.

http://www.soviet-steel.com/showthre...light=egyptian

Heat treatment was proper and more care in general was put into their assembly in those days. By the time Century Arms was bringing them in the Egyptians were taking short cuts and frequently locking blocks and slides were not properly heat treated. I saw one at a gun show with the slide bulged out on the sides. When the owner told me he just mashes it back down from time to time with a rubber mallet I cringed. I warned him that eventually the back half would snap off and go in his face, my warning was dismissed with a wave as he walked away... Now that I think about it I have not seen him at a show since...

Just keep an eye on the slide and locking block. If it begins to become hard to take apart, then you will know things are moving that should not.

Last edited by Gopguy; 09-06-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Founding Member

I hate to send you to another site but some time back there was a pretty good thread on these elsewhere. So just promise to come home after reading here.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ghlight=helwan

The one below was an Interarms import, but a later one...

Old 09-06-2011, 09:34 PM

Here are a few pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (1).jpg (100.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg photo (2).jpg (103.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg photo (3).jpg (100.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Trusted Comrade

I had one awhile back but it just had English writing on it. I was impressed with the accuracy but mine had a couple of problems. The slide would not always slam all the way shut often, and from what I remember it also had a minor magazine feed problem which I was able to correct. I wouldn't mind finding another at a show if I came across a better quality version of what I had, or even possibly an actual Beretta from what it was copied from.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:14 AM
Founding Member

They are nice and flat if a bit dated for carry. The sights could stand to be bigger.

I have two honest to God Beretta 1951 pistols and a Beretta 1951E which was only made for Egypt. All three are very accurate. They are pretty hard to find, though they do turn up at the OGCA from time to time. Dan's had some awhile back, not sure if any are left. As with any other out of production gun spare parts can be an issue as well.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:34 PM
Founding Member

Reviving an old thread. I have had both of these pistols for over 30 years now. Both are Navy Arms imports one a Beretta 1951E made for the Egyptians, the other a ARE marked Helwan with Arabic markings. The ammo is Egyptian, but hot, I suspect for the Port Said submachine gun, dont use it in your pistols guys, I broke a locking block on a 70s vintage hex bolt Walther P38 using this ammo in the late 80s. The holster was sold at the time as an Egyptian holster and I have seen several other Helwans over the years sold and paired up with this holster. So I suspect it is correct. Its a perfect fit for the gun and spare magazine.