Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS

Go Back   Soviet-Steel.com - Discussion forum dedicated to ComBloc firearms, especially AK-47 and SKS > Soviet Handgun Discussion > Tokarev TT

Old 11-18-2016, 03:36 PM

Default Can you identify my 1944 TT-33 arsenal marking?

Howdy all,

As of this morning, I'm the proud new owner of a 1944-vintage TT-33.

From what I've seen online, my arsenal markings may be unusual. Serial numbers match on the frame, slide and barrel hood, and all three share the same arsenal marking, which is a circle with an arrow within.
This is probably Tula, but similar markings have not yet appeared in my searches.

So, what follows are B&W photos of the marks. The black stuff is remnants of paint, applied by a previous owner for unknown reason:

FRAME:

SLIDE:

BARREL:

Thanks,
Darron
Old 11-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Well worn areas of steel on that thing. As far as I can remember, Russia was the only one making TT33s during WW2. And Tula is the only one with a circle. Tula has a bunch of different markings from the 1900s-through today. And the correct mark would be an arrow in a triangle in a circle.

The stamps on there have been sanded and since 1944 was a 'hurry up" year for handguns, it may have had shallow marks that have been sanded off or it may have been defaced from capture or a previous owner/soldier or during refurbishment.

Last edited by einheit 13; 11-18-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the info.

To perhaps clarify, here are the uncropped versions of the three photos above, presented here in color, and with the last digit of the serial number obscured:

FRAME:

SLIDE:

BARREL:

Thanks,
Darron

Quote:
Originally Posted by einheit 13 View Post
Well worn areas of steel on that thing. As far as I can remember, Russia was the only one making TT33s during WW2. And Tula is the only one with a circle. Tula has a bunch of different markings from the 1900s-through today. And the correct mark would be an arrow in a triangle in a circle.

The stamps on there have been sanded and since 1944 was a 'hurry up" year for handguns, it may have had shallow marks that have been sanded off or it may have been defaced from capture or a previous owner/soldier or during refurbishment.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:44 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

It's been restamped. You can tell by all the scratches/file marks and you can see remnants of some other characters on the slide and barrel hood. Zoom n on your pics and you can see it was deliberate. The defacing is only consistent in the area of the serial numbers. There is no uniformity to it.

Last edited by einheit 13; 11-21-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:25 PM

So, I assume this would be considered "force matching"?

Darron

Quote:
Originally Posted by einheit 13 View Post
It's been restamped. You can tell by all the scratches/file marks and you can see remnants of some other characters on the slide and barrel hood. Zoom n on your pics and you can see it was deliberate. The defacing is only consistent in the area of the serial numbers. There is no uniformity to it.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:23 PM
Soviet Steel Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darronb View Post
So, I assume this would be considered "force matching"?

Darron
Pretty much. Could have also been a "sneak" bound for countries that the Sovs 'weren't giving weapons too. That is what is so neat about combloc weapons
Old 04-17-2017, 07:25 PM

I believe it's a copy made at Darra in NW Pakistan. The fine slide serrations were not in use till after WWII and wouldn't be present on a 1944 pistol.

Last edited by Bayonut; 05-20-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Tags
1944 , arsenal , markings , paint , tula